Pairs of words and Group names
Class: Basic 5
Subject: Verbal Reasoning
Topic: Pairs of words and Group names.
SECTION A: PAIRS OF WORDS
Look carefully at the first two pairs and observe how the two words in each pair are related. Choose from the options lettered a – e, the word which is related to the fifth word in the same way as the words of the first two pairs are related.
Example: lump, slumps; tab, stabs; late, _____________
(a) lasts (b) stale (c) slates (d) states (e) slate
The correct answer is therefore ‘slates’ which is option c.
1. grates, grade; mates, made; fates, _____________.
(a) fade (b) fate (c) feed (d) fats (e) feet
2. throw, row; freight, eight; grate, _______________.
(a) rat (b) rate (c) ate (d) tea (g) gate
3. goals, got; lesson, let; manor, ______________.
(a) man (b) mad (c) mane (d) mast (e) mat
4. tale, stall; male, small; tile, ___________.
(a) stall (b) still (c) stile (d) stale (e) stilt
5. tease, test; peace, pest; lease, _____________.
(a) ease (b) leave (c) leash (d) lest (e) least
6. protects, project; tingles, jingle; tacks, _____________.
(a) jack (b) tact (c) ark (d) act (e) axe
SECTION B: GROUP NAMES OR GENERAL TERMS.
Instructions: Each of the following items consists of five words labeled a – e. One of the words is a general term which describes what the other four words are.
(a) six (b) ten (c) number (d) twelve (e) twenty
The general term is ‘number’. This describe what the other words are, so the answer is C.
7. (a) hoe (b) hammer (c) saw (d) tool (e) matchet
8. (a) jacket (b) clothing (c) blouse (d) shirt (e) shorts
9. (a) hour (b) time (c) minute (d) second (e) week
10. (a) ambulance (b) bus (c) lorry (d) car (e) vehicle
11. (a) person (b) boy (c) man (d) girl (e) woman
12. (a) rat (b) lizard (c) dog (d) animal (e) elephant