PRY 5 ENGLISH THIRD TERM E-NOTE
Subject :English Grammar
Class :Primary 5
Term :Third Term
Class: Basic 5
Nigerian Trailblazers in the Guinness Book of World Records
Previous Lesson :
- Identify and recognize the accomplishments of Nigerian trailblazers in the Guinness Book of World Records.
- Enhance reading comprehension skills through the comprehension passage.
- Develop critical thinking skills by answering evaluation questions related to the passage.
- Improve vocabulary and language usage by discussing the topic in groups.
- Foster appreciation for the achievements of fellow Nigerians.
Embedded Core Skills:
- Reading comprehension
- Critical thinking
- Vocabulary development
- Oral communication
- Collaboration and teamwork
- Comprehension passage on “Nigerian Trailblazers in the Guinness Book of World Records” (previously provided)
- Whiteboard or blackboard
- Markers or chalk
- Evaluation question handout (ten evaluation questions prepared by the teacher)
Nigerian Trailblazers in the Guinness Book of World Records
Title: Nigerian Trailblazers in the Guinness Book of World Records
Nigeria, a country brimming with talent and potential, takes pride in its citizens who have achieved remarkable feats and secured their place in the prestigious Guinness Book of World Records. Let’s explore the incredible accomplishments of five Nigerians who have left an indelible mark on the world stage.
- Azeezat Shobowale: In the domain of sports, Azeezat Shobowale stands tall as the fastest female footballer in the world. Her lightning speed and skill on the field earned her a record-breaking 32.67 kilometers per hour!
- Harrison Chinedu: Meet Harrison Chinedu, the man who defied gravity with his amazing bicycle riding ability. He covered a staggering distance of 103.6 kilometers on a single wheel in just 6 hours, 20 minutes, and 6 seconds, earning him the record for the longest bicycle wheelie.
- Chinedu Harrison: Known as “The Human Calculator,” Chinedu Harrison possesses an extraordinary talent for mental calculations. His record-breaking feat involves solving 48 mathematical equations in just one minute!
- Kafayat Shafau-Ameh: Kafayat Shafau-Ameh, popularly known as Kaffy, showcased her exceptional dancing skills. With a team of 52 dancers, she achieved the record for the “Longest Dance Party” lasting an incredible 55 hours and 40 minutes.
- Olawunmi Treasures Bayode: Olawunmi Treasures Bayode wowed the world with his extensive knowledge. He holds the record for the “Longest Marathon Reading Aloud,” having read aloud for an astonishing 120 hours, immersing himself in the world of books.
These exceptional Nigerians inspire us to dream big and work tirelessly to achieve our goals. They prove that with determination and passion, anyone can create their own world records. Let us celebrate these extraordinary individuals who continue to put Nigeria on the global map!
- Who holds the record for being the fastest female footballer in the world? a) Harrison Chinedu b) Azeezat Shobowale c) Chinedu Harrison d) Kafayat Shafau-Ameh
- Which Nigerian achieved the record for the longest bicycle wheelie? a) Harrison Chinedu b) Azeezat Shobowale c) Chinedu Harrison d) Kafayat Shafau-Ameh
- Who is known as “The Human Calculator”? a) Harrison Chinedu b) Azeezat Shobowale c) Chinedu Harrison d) Kafayat Shafau-Ameh
- Who achieved the record for the “Longest Dance Party”? a) Harrison Chinedu b) Azeezat Shobowale c) Chinedu Harrison d) Kafayat Shafau-Ameh
- Who holds the record for the “Longest Marathon Reading Aloud”? a) Harrison Chinedu b) Azeezat Shobowale c) Chinedu Harrison d) Olawunmi Treasures Bayode
- How fast was Azeezat Shobowale recorded as the fastest female footballer? a) 32.67 kilometers per hour b) 103.6 kilometers per hour c) 48 mathematical equations per minute d) 120 hours
- How far did Harrison Chinedu cover on a single wheel during his record-breaking bicycle ride? a) 32.67 kilometers per hour b) 103.6 kilometers per hour c) 48 mathematical equations per minute d) 120 hours
- What is the special talent of Chinedu Harrison? a) Fastest female footballer b) Longest bicycle wheelie c) Mental calculations d) Dance party organizer
- How long did Kafayat Shafau-Ameh’s “Longest Dance Party” last? a) 6 hours, 20 minutes, and 6 seconds b) 32.67 kilometers per hour c) 55 hours and 40 minutes d) 120 hours
- How long did Olawunmi Treasures Bayode read aloud to achieve his record? a) 6 hours, 20 minutes, and 6 seconds b) 32.67 kilometers per hour c) 48 mathematical equations per minute d) 120 hours
Note: The correct answers are b, a, c, d, d, a, b, c, c, d respectively.
Lesson Plan: Nigerian Trailblazers in the Guinness Book of World Records
Grade Level: Primary 5 (English Grammar)
- Begin the lesson by engaging the students with a brief discussion on the Guinness Book of World Records and its significance in recognizing extraordinary achievements.
- Introduce the topic of “Nigerian Trailblazers in the Guinness Book of World Records” and highlight the achievements of the five Nigerians mentioned in the passage.
- Distribute copies of the comprehension passage to the students. Explain the importance of reading the passage carefully to understand the achievements of each individual.
- Read the comprehension passage aloud to the students, emphasizing pronunciation and fluency.
- Break down the passage into smaller paragraphs, and ask students to read each paragraph silently.
- Facilitate a whole-class discussion on the passage, encouraging students to share their understanding of the achievements and ask clarifying questions.
- Display the comprehension questions on the board and discuss them one by one, allowing students to answer orally.
- Guide the students in reflecting on the contributions of each Nigerian trailblazer and discuss the impact of their achievements on society.
- Read the comprehension passage silently, underlining or highlighting key information.
- Participate in whole-class and small-group discussions to share their understanding and ask questions.
- Answer comprehension questions individually or in pairs, discussing their answers with classmates.
- Engage in reflective discussions on the importance of the achievements and their potential impact on society.
- Monitor students’ participation during the whole-class and small-group discussions.
- Evaluate students’ comprehension through their answers to the comprehension questions.
- Assess students’ ability to articulate their thoughts and opinions during the reflective discussions. [mediator_tech]
- Who holds the record for being the fastest female footballer in the world?
- Which Nigerian achieved the record for the longest bicycle wheelie?
- What is the special talent of Chinedu Harrison?
- How long did Kafayat Shafau-Ameh’s “Longest Dance Party” last?
- What is the significance of the Guinness Book of World Records?
- How can the achievements of these Nigerians inspire others?
- Why is it important to recognize and celebrate outstanding accomplishments?
- How do these record holders contribute to the image of Nigeria on the global stage?
- What are some possible challenges faced by individuals attempting to break world records?
- How can ordinary individuals work towards achieving extraordinary goals? [mediator_tech]
- Summarize the key points discussed in the lesson, emphasizing the achievements of the Nigerian trailblazers and their impact.
- Reinforce the importance of setting goals, working hard, and believing in oneself.
- Encourage students to pursue their passions and strive for excellence in their chosen fields.
- Conclude by expressing pride in the accomplishments of these Nigerians and remind the students that they too have the potential to achieve great things if they put in the effort and dedication. [mediator_tech]
- Reinforce the idea that records are not just about competition, but also about pushing boundaries, breaking barriers, and inspiring others.
- Encourage students to research and explore other Nigerian achievements in various fields, such as science, arts, and technology, to further enhance their knowledge of the country’s remarkable individuals.
- Thank the students for their active participation and engagement throughout the lesson.
- Provide an opportunity for students to ask any remaining questions or share their thoughts and reflections on the topic.
- Conclude the lesson by expressing confidence in the students’ ability to set their own goals, work hard, and potentially make their mark in the world.
- Remind the students to appreciate and celebrate the achievements of fellow Nigerians, as they serve as a testament to the nation’s talent and potential.
Note: The lesson plan outlined above can be adjusted and modified based on the specific classroom dynamics, available time, and resources. The evaluation questions provided can be used as a starting point, and additional questions or activities can be included to cater to the specific needs and interests of the students