PRY 5 ENGLISH THIRD TERM E-NOTE
Subject :English Grammar
Class :Primary 5
Term :Third Term
Class: Basic 5
Dictation For The Week Spellings
Previous Lesson :
- Understand the meaning and usage of words: merchandise, bribery, torture, corporal, immediately, opportunity, recognizes, vacuum, accidentally, and ubiquitous.
- Learn the correct spellings of the given words.
- Identify the dictionary meanings of the words.
- Apply the words in meaningful sentences.
Embedded Core Skills:
- Vocabulary development
- Reading comprehension
- Sentence formation
- Critical thinking
- Whiteboard and markers
- Chart paper and markers
- Printed word cards with the target words: merchandise, bribery, torture, corporal, immediately, opportunity, recognizes, vacuum, accidentally, and ubiquitous.
- Sentence strips
- Worksheets for practice
- Assessment rubric
Dictation For The Week Spellings
1. Merchandise: Merchandise refers to goods or products that are bought and sold. Example sentence: The store owner displayed a variety of merchandise, including toys, clothes, and electronics.
2. Bribery: Bribery is the act of giving or receiving money, gifts, or favors to influence someone’s actions or decisions. Example sentence: The politician was arrested for engaging in bribery, offering money to officials in exchange for favorable treatment.
3. Torture: Torture means inflicting severe physical or mental pain on someone as a form of punishment or to extract information. Example sentence: The prisoners endured torture during their captivity, experiencing extreme pain and suffering.
4. Corporal: Corporal relates to the human body, particularly punishment involving physical pain. Example sentence: In some schools, corporal punishment, such as spanking, is used as a disciplinary measure.
5. Immediately: Immediately means without delay or instantly. Example sentence: When the bell rang, the students were instructed to leave the classroom immediately and line up outside.
6. Opportunity: Opportunity refers to a favorable or advantageous chance to do or achieve something. Example sentence: She saw the job vacancy as an excellent opportunity to pursue her career in marketing.
7. Recognizes: Recognizes means to acknowledge, identify, or be aware of something or someone. Example sentence: The teacher recognizes the hard work and effort the students put into their assignments.
8. Vacuum: Vacuum is a space entirely devoid of matter or air. Example sentence: The vacuum cleaner efficiently sucks up dirt and dust from the floor, leaving it clean.
9. Accidentally: Accidentally means something happening by chance or unintentionally. Example sentence: He accidentally spilled his drink on the table when he bumped into it.
10. Ubiquitous: Ubiquitous means being present or found everywhere. Example sentence: Smartphones have become ubiquitous in today’s society, with almost everyone owning one.
Spell the following words
- Recognizes (alternative spelling: Recognises)
Use the words above in sentences
- Merchandise: The store owner displayed a wide range of merchandise, including clothing, electronics, and toys.
- Bribery: The politician was arrested for engaging in bribery, offering money in exchange for political favors.
- Torture: The prisoner endured severe torture during his captivity, causing immense physical and emotional pain.
- Corporal: The school principal decided to eliminate corporal punishment and implement alternative disciplinary measures.
- Immediately: When the fire alarm rang, everyone evacuated the building immediately, following the safety procedures.
- Opportunity: She seized the opportunity to showcase her talent at the auditions and impressed the judges.
- Recognizes: The teacher recognizes the efforts of students who consistently work hard and achieve good grades.
- Vacuum: She used the vacuum cleaner to clean the carpets and remove the dust and dirt from them.
- Accidentally: He accidentally spilled his drink on the table while trying to reach for the remote control.
- Ubiquitous: Smartphones have become ubiquitous in modern society, with people of all ages relying on them for various tasks
- The store owner displayed a wide range of _______ for sale. a) merchandise b) bribe c) tortures
- Offering money or favors to influence someone’s actions is known as _______. a) bribery b) torture c) opportunity
- _______ refers to the act of inflicting severe physical or mental pain on someone. a) torture b) corporal c) vacuum
- The word _______ is related to punishment involving physical pain. a) torture b) corporal c) recognizes
- Please complete the task _______ to avoid any delays. a) immediately b) opportunity c) accidentally
- She saw the job vacancy as an excellent _______ to advance her career. a) opportunity b) ubiquitous c) merchandise
- The teacher _______ the effort the students put into their assignments. a) recognizes b) vacuums c) spells
- The _______ cleaner effectively sucks up dirt and dust. a) recognizes b) vacuum c) merchandise
- He _______ spilled his coffee on the table while talking. a) recognizes b) accidentally c) corporal
- Smartphones have become _______ in today’s society. a) ubiquitous b) torture c) opportunity
Lesson Plan: Understanding Meaning, Spelling, and Dictionary Meaning of Words
Grade Level: Primary 5 (Lagos State Curriculum)
- Begin the lesson by asking students if they know the meanings of the words: merchandise, bribery, torture, corporal, immediately, opportunity, recognizes, vacuum, accidentally, and ubiquitous. Write these words on the whiteboard.
- Discuss the importance of understanding word meanings and correct spellings for effective communication and comprehension.
- Introduce each word, one at a time, using the printed word cards. Pronounce the word clearly, provide a simple definition, and use it in a sentence. Encourage students to repeat the word and sentence after you.
- Engage students in a brief discussion to check their understanding of the words and their meanings.
- Display the chart paper with the target words and their definitions for easy reference.
- Model correct pronunciation and usage of each word.
- Encourage students to ask questions and seek clarification.
- Guide students in understanding the dictionary meanings of the words.
- Provide examples of sentences using the words in context.
- Monitor student engagement and participation.
- Listen attentively to the teacher’s explanation of the words.
- Repeat the words and sentences after the teacher.
- Take notes on the meanings of the words.
- Participate in class discussions and ask questions for clarification.
- Practice using the words in sentences orally and in writing
- Distribute worksheets to students for practice.
- Instruct students to complete the sentences with the correct words from the list.
- Review the completed worksheets and provide feedback.
- Assess students’ understanding of the words by observing their participation in class discussions and activities.
- Use an assessment rubric to evaluate students’ performance in accurately using the words in sentences.
- What does the word “merchandise” mean?
- Spell the word “bribery” correctly.
- Give an example sentence using the word “torture” in the context of punishment.
- What is the dictionary meaning of the word “corporal”?
- Use the word “immediately” in a sentence to describe a prompt action.
- Explain the concept of “opportunity” using your own words.
- Define the word “recognizes” and provide an example sentence.
- What is the meaning of the word “vacuum” in the context of cleaning?
- Provide a sentence in which the word “accidentally” is used appropriately
- Describe something that is “ubiquitous” in today’s society.
- Summarize the main points covered in the lesson, emphasizing the meanings, spellings, and dictionary definitions of the words.
- Reinforce the importance of understanding word meanings for effective communication and comprehension.
- Encourage students to continue practicing and using the words in their everyday language.
Homework: Assign the following homework tasks to reinforce learning:
- Write five sentences, each using one of the target words correctly.
- Create flashcards for the target words, including their meanings and example sentences.
- Read a short passage or article and identify any instances where the target words are used.
Extension Activities (optional):
- Conduct a spelling bee competition using the target words.
- Organize a vocabulary parade, where students dress up and act out the meanings of the target words.
- Assign group projects where students create mini-dictionaries or vocabulary books using the target words.
By following this detailed lesson plan, students will have a better understanding of the meaning, spelling, and dictionary definitions of the given words. They will also be able to use these words correctly in sentences, improving their vocabulary and language skills. [mediator_tech]