Basic Science and Technology
Basic 5 / Primary 5
Previous lesson :
The pupils have previous knowledge of types of waste
WASTE AND WASTE DISPOSAL
Advantages of Waste Recycling
Behavioural objectives :
At the end of lesson, pupils should be able to:
- Explain the meaning of waste disposal
- Say various alternative ways of waste disposal
- Mention the best method of waste disposal
- List out the possible effects of not properly disposing our waste
- Define recycling
- Mention the advantages of recycling
Instructional Materials :
- Wall charts
- Related Online Video
- Flash Cards
- Waste Paper Basket
Methods of Teaching :
- Class Discussion
- Group Discussion
- Asking Questions
- Role Modelling
- Role Delegation
Reference Materials :
- Scheme of Work
- Online Information
- 9 Year Basic Education Curriculum
What is Recycling ?
Recycling is a method of environmental sanitation that involves the transformation of old useless materials into new useful materials . It is a process of converting waste to wealth .
What are the advantages of Recycling ?
- Recycling reduces the amount of waste that would have been taken to the incinerator .
- Recycling reduces the amount of waste that would have constitute nuisance or pollution in the environment .
- Recycling can also be a source of income as old bottles or used plastic bottles can be collected and resold .
- Recycling provides already available raw materials that can also be used for further production of other goods
What are the dangers of Recycling ?
- Most recycled products are not always of the best standards .
- At times more harmful waste materials are released into the atmosphere during the process of recycling .
- It is not always cost effective .
What are the materials that can be recycled ?
- Metal iron
- Plastic containers or bottles
- Waste water
- Plates and cups
- Tin cans
The topic is presented step by step
The class teacher revises the previous topics
He introduces the new topic
The class teacher allows the pupils to give their own examples and he corrects them when the needs arise
The class teacher wraps up or conclude the lesson by giving out short note to summarize the topic that he or she has just taught.
The class teacher also goes round to make sure that the notes are well copied or well written by the pupils.
He or she does the necessary corrections when and where the needs arise.
- What is waste disposal
- Mention four effects of improper waste disposal
- What is recycling ?
- Mention four advantages of recycling .
- Mention four disadvantages of recycling
Prepare for the next lesson by reading for examination