Basic Science and Technology
Basic 5 / Primary 5
Previous lesson :
The pupils have previous knowledge of water pollution
Causes of land Pollution
Effects of land Pollution
Prevention or Possible solution to land pollution
Behavioural objectives :
At the end of lesson, pupils should be able to:
- Define pollution land pollution
- List common causes of land pollution .
- Say the effects of land pollution .
- Explain the possible solution to land pollution
Instructional Materials :
- Wall charts
- Related Online Video
- Flash Cards
- Some soil sample in Bucket.
Methods of Teaching :
- Class Discussion
- Group Discussion
- Asking Questions
- Role Modelling
- Role Delegation
Reference Materials :
- Scheme of Work
- Online Information
- 9 Year Basic Education Curriculum
What is the meaning of Pollution ?
To pollute mean to defile , to contaminate, to adulterate or make unfit for both animal and human use . When you spill oil on water, the oil will float on the water because oil is lighter than water.
What are land pollutants : Land pollutants are objects or things that cause pollution or defilement to land and make land unusable or unfit or unsafe for plant and animals
Examples of land pollutants are
- Solid waste
- Scrap motor vehicle parts
- Broken bottles or glass
What are the Harmful effects of Land Pollution ?
- Land pollutants make land or road unaccessible for road users
- Sewage on the roads makes our roads dirty and eyesore.
- Abadoned vehicles on the roads are dangerous and can cause road accidents.
- Open defecation or feaces may spread diseases.
- Refuse take up land area that could have been used for other productive business activities.
The possible solutions to land pollution
- Refuse must be disposed properly.
- Old broken bottles may be buried.
- Each home must have proper toilet facility
- Open defecation must be discouraged.
- Each public bus must have waste dust bin.
- Recycling must be encourage.
- Waste materials can be improvised to make a better refurbished product.
The topic is presented step by step
The class teacher revises the previous topics
He introduces the new topic
The class teacher allows the pupils to give their own examples and he corrects them when the needs arise
The class teacher wraps up or conclude the lesson by giving out short note to summarize the topic that he or she has just taught.
The class teacher also goes round to make sure that the notes are well copied or well written by the pupils.
He or she does the necessary corrections when and where the needs arise.
- What is pollution
- Mention is land pollution
- Mention two land pollutants
- Mention effects land pollutants
- Mention two ways of solving land pollution
Prepare for the next lesson by reading about changes around us
(Visited 266 times, 2 visits today)