Basic Science and Technology
Basic 5 / Primary 5
Previous lesson :
The pupils have previous knowledge of air pollution causes and effects
Causes of water Pollution
Effects of water Pollution
Prevention or Possible solution to water pollution
Behavioural objectives :
At the end of lesson, pupils should be able to:
- Define pollution water pollution
- List common causes of water pollution .
- Say the effects of water pollution .
- Explain the possible solution to water pollution
Instructional Materials :
- Wall charts
- Related Online Video
- Flash Cards
- Water in a pail or bucket
Methods of Teaching :
- Class Discussion
- Group Discussion
- Asking Questions
- Role Modelling
- Role Delegation
Reference Materials :
- Scheme of Work
- Online Information
- 9 Year Basic Education Curriculum
What is the meaning of Pollution ?
To pollute mean to defile , to contaminate, to adulterate or make unfit for both animal and human use . When you spill oil on water, the oil will float on the water because oil is lighter than water.
What are water pollutants : Water pollutants are objects or things that cause pollution or defilement to water and make water unusable or unfit or unsafe for plant and animals
Examples of water pollutants are
- Industrial waste
- Leakages from pipes
What are the Harmful effects of Water Pollution ?
- Water pollutants make water to become hard water
- Polluted water is not good for cooking
- Toxic chemicals in polluted water kill creatures in the sea or ocean.
- Polluted water may cause vomiting or stomach upset when it is drunk or used for cooking
The possible solutions to water pollution
- Water for domestic uses must be treated before use.
- Distillation must be used if the option is available.
- Sewage must be disposed off properly.
- Leakages in oil pipes must be fixed.
The topic is presented step by step
The class teacher revises the previous topics
He introduces the new topic
The class teacher allows the pupils to give their own examples and he corrects them when the needs arise
The class teacher wraps up or conclude the lesson by giving out short note to summarize the topic that he or she has just taught.
The class teacher also goes round to make sure that the notes are well copied or well written by the pupils.
He or she does the necessary corrections when and where the needs arise.
- What is pollution
- Mention is water pollution
- Mention two water pollutants
- Mention effects water pollutants
- Mention two ways of solving water pollution
Prepare for the next lesson by reading about land pollution
(Visited 244 times, 1 visits today)