Basic Science and Technology
Basic 5 / Primary 5
Previous lesson :
The pupils have previous knowledge of meaning and types of Pollution
Causes of Air Pollution
Effects of Air Pollution
Prevention or Possible solution to air pollution
Behavioural objectives :
At the end of lesson, pupils should be able to:
- Define pollution air pollution
- List common causes causes of air pollution .
- Say the effects of air pollution .
- Explain the possible solution to Air pollution
Instructional Materials :
- Wall charts
- Related Online Video
- Flash Cards
Methods of Teaching :
- Class Discussion
- Group Discussion
- Asking Questions
- Role Modelling
- Role Delegation
Reference Materials :
- Scheme of Work
- Online Information
- 9 Year Basic Education Curriculum
What is the meaning of Pollution ?
To pollute mean to defile , to contaminate, to adulterate or make unfit for both animal and human use . When you see a dead decaying rat at the corner of mum”s kitchen , the dead rat is a pollutant because it will bring forth smell that is not appealing to everybody in the house .
What are Pollutants : Pollutants are objects or things that cause pollution or defilement ..
Examples of Air pollutants are
- Tear gas
- Carbon Dioxide
- Carbon Monoxide
- Gas flaring
- Smoke from Generator
- Smoke from bush burning
- Spray of insecticides or chemical
- Dead rats
What are the Harmful effects of Air Pollution ?
- Smoke may cause respiratory related diseases or illness.
- Smoke may affect good vision or shedding of tears from the eyes
- Smoking of cigarettes ‘may shorten life span as The Federal Government through its Health ministry warns that smokers are liable to die young .
- There are reports that smoke from generators have killed many people.
- The ozone layer is depleted and this may lead to global warning .
- Asthmatic patients find it difficult to breathe where there is too much smoke or dust
The possible solutions to Air pollution
- Bedrooms , living rooms , parlours and classrooms must be properly ventilated .
- Number of people living in a room must not be unnecessary large.
- Teachers must encourage pupils to wet the floor before they start sweeping in order to reduce dust .
- Do not put or operate your generator very close to your windows .
- Vehicles must be properly serviced and maintain in order to reduce smoke emission.
- Smoking of cigarettes in public places must be discouraged .
The topic is presented step by step
The class teacher revises the previous topics
He introduces the new topic
The class teacher allows the pupils to give their own examples and he corrects them when the needs arise
The class teacher wraps up or conclude the lesson by giving out short note to summarize the topic that he or she has just taught.
The class teacher also goes round to make sure that the notes are well copied or well written by the pupils.
He or she does the necessary corrections when and where the needs arise.
- What is pollution
- Mention is air pollution
- Mention two air pollutants
- Mention effects air pollutants
- Mention two ways of solving air pollution
Prepare for the next lesson by reading about land pollution
(Visited 186 times, 1 visits today)