CLASS: BASIC 3
SUBJECT: Basic Science and Technology
TOPIC: Early Counting Devices and Later Development6
In the olden days counting was done with simple local materials after which mechanical devices were introduced. Examples of early counting devices include:
These early counting devices were usually used for addition and subtraction.
Later Development: These counting devices were mechanical devices such as: Abacus and Calculator.
Abacus: This was the first mechanical counting device. It was operated with hands and was made of strings, frame and beads for counting. The abacus was used for addition and subtraction of numbers.
Calculator: The function of calculator is to add, subtract, multiply and divide.
The calculator has a small screen to show the result of what we have calculated.
- List three examples of early counting devices.
- State the two mechanical counting devices.
- What were early counting devices used for?
- Abacus was used for __________ and _________.
- Mention the four functions calculator is for.