Subject : CIVIC EDUCATION
Class :Basic 6
National consciousness and identity
Term : First Term
Week : Week 7
: The pupils have the previous knowledge of National Unity
Behavioural Objectives : At the end of the lesson , pupils should be able to
- define National consciousness and identity
- mention ways of promoting National consciousness and identity
Instructional materials :
- Sample or picture of people showing national consciousness and identity
Reference Materials :
- define national consciousness and identity
- say the benefits of national consciousness and identity
- mention the characteristics or attributes of national consciousness and identity
- say what may happen when there is no national consciousness and identity
What is National Unity ?
National consciousness simply means the awareness that we have towards the happenings of events in our country . It is a strong sense of feeling of attachment to one’s country over and above every other considerations, interests , affiliations or peculiarities .
What is National Identity ?
National Identity refers to the individual personality an individual embraces because of being a member of a particular country . Nigerians have National Identity and International passport as means of National identity .
What are the ways of Promoting National Consciousness and Identity ?
- Inculcating right values, morals and discipline in the citizens
- Inculcating sound moral and religious beliefs.
- Encouraging justice and fairness among citizens.
- Participating in community development.
- Emulating exemplary leadership qualities.
- Team work/cooperation on societal/national issues.
- Demonstrating tolerance of opposition/conflicting views.
- Celebrating past heroes and heroine Public enlightenment and sensitization on the importance of civic/societal values/use of mass media
- Encouraging national unity and understanding through healthy competitions, politics, sport and festivals, etc.
- Placing national interest above personal interest/patriotism.
- Respecting national symbols e.g National Flag
- Singing National Anthem/reciting National Pledge
- .Recognizing and rewarding excellent performance/services of the citizens to the nation/country through National awards and other regional honours.
Source : WAEC.ORG.NG
The topic is presented step by step
Step 1 : The class teacher introduces the new topic
Step 2 : The class teacher introduces the new topic
Step 3 : The class teacher allows the pupils to give their own contributions and he or she corrects them when the needs arise
The class teacher gives out a short note and he goes round to mark .
He or she does the necessary corrections
. Write out five ways of promoting National consciousness and identity
(Visited 898 times, 1 visits today)