FIRST TERM E-LEARNING NOTE
SUBJECT: CIVIC EDUCATION
CLASS: JSS 1
Week : Week 9
Topic : Common Crimes: Embezzlement, 419 or Advance Fee Fraud
Previous Knowledge : Pupils are conversant with some of the previous topics that have been taught in the previous lessons most especially Common Crimes: Falsehood and Theft
Behavioural Objectives : At the end of the lesson , pupils should be able to
- explain the meaning of 419
- give examples of 419 crime
- say the punishments for committing 419 crime
- know that crime does not pay
Instructional Materials :
- Wall charts
- Related Online Video
- Flash Cards
Methods of Teaching :
- Class Discussion
- Group Discussion
- Asking Questions
- Role Modelling
- Role Delegation
Reference Materials :
- Scheme of Work
- Online Information
- 9 Year Basic Education Curriculum
COMMON CRIME ADVANCE FEE FRAUD (419) EMBEZZLEMENT, AND CONTAMINATED FOOD
ADVANCE FEE FRAUD (419)
It is a type of fraud that is perpetrated by some criminals in Nigeria. The number ‘’419’’ refers to the article of the Nigerian criminal code dealing with fraud. The scam or fraud has been used with fax and traditional mail, and is now used with internet.
Nations with a high incidence of the fraud include Nigeria, U.K ,U.S.A, and South Africa.
This is a type of food that is un-hygienically prepared. It is a food that contains contaminants or harmful substances that intentionally or unintentionally makes food unfit for human consumption, such act is a criminal act.
TYPES OF FRAUD
- ‘’419’’ scams
- Political fraud
- Economic fraud
- Employment scams
- Lottery scam
- Fake online sales and rentals
- ‘’419 scams: Operate as the target receives an unsolicited fax, email or letter containing money.
- Political fraud: This is the political set up among the politician to misuse government property.
- Economic fraud: Are the business fraud operated at high level to steal government money.
- Employment scams : There are many ghost workers in the government parastatals receiving government money as salary without actually coming to offices to work
MEANING OF EMBEZZLEMENT
Embezzlement is the act of embezzling government property and money.
CAUSES OF ADVANCE FEE FRAUD ‘419’ AND EMBEZZLEMENT
- Family neglect
- Low self esteem, alcohol and drug abuse
- Influence of bad group
- Problems of industrialization and urbanization
- External influence
- Bad value system
- Culture of Impurity
- Inequality between the rich and the poor
- There is also proliferation arms and ammunitions
The topic is presented step by step
The class teacher revises the previous topics
He introduces the new topic
The class teacher allows the pupils to give their own examples and he corrects them when the needs arise
- Explain the term Fraud ‘419’
- What do you understand by contaminated food?
- __________ refers to the article of the Nigerian criminal code dealing with fraud
- The number ‘419’ B The number 619 C The number 417 D The number 819
- _______ is the act of stealing government money
- Prostitute B. Embezzlement C. Cheating D. Robbery
- The food that is unfit for human consumption is ____________
- Clean food B. Well prepared food C. Contaminated food D. Good food
- These are the causes of advance fee fraud (‘419’) except ___________
- Poverty B. Unemployment C. Influence of bad group D. School Training
- When food is not medically and hygienically fit for human consumption, such act is a ________
- Criminal act B. Poverty C. Shelter D .Societal act
1.Explain the term ‘’advance fee fraud, 419’’.
2. List five causes of advance fee fraud, 419.
3. These are the causes of crimes in the society except———-A]Discipline B]Poverty C] Unemployment D] Bad value system
4. Crime can be defined as ————A] An offence committed by a person for breaking the rules B]Developing the country C]Natural talent D] Ability to tell the truth
5. The taking of another person’s property without permission is —- A]Theft B] Disobey C] Falsehood D]obedience
(Visited 372 times, 1 visits today)