Subject: English Grammar
Class : Primary 3
Term : Third Term
Week : Week 1
Topic : Writing Composition on How I Spent My Last Holiday
- Students will be able to construct simple sentences to describe their last holiday.
- Students will practice using appropriate vocabulary and grammar structures while narrating their experiences.
- Students will enhance their listening and speaking skills through class discussions and presentations.
Embedded Core Skills:
- Language Skills: Listening, speaking, reading, and writing.
- Communication Skills: Expressing ideas clearly, using appropriate vocabulary and grammar.
- Critical Thinking Skills: Reflecting on personal experiences and organizing information.
- Chart paper or whiteboard
- Markers or chalk
- Picture cards depicting holiday scenes
- Individual writing notebooks or sheets
- Assessment rubric
Title: How I Spent My Last Holiday
- Start with a catchy opening sentence to grab the attention of the pupils.
- Mention the duration of the holiday and the place you visited (if applicable).
- Travel destination:
- Mention the name of the place you visited.
- Describe the location briefly, such as whether it was a city, beach, or countryside.
- Highlight any interesting features of the place, like famous landmarks or natural attractions.
- Activities and experiences:
- List the different activities you engaged in during your holiday.
- Include both indoor and outdoor activities.
- Describe each activity briefly and mention why you enjoyed it.
- Family and friends:
- Mention the people you spent your holiday with, such as family members or friends.
- Share some memorable moments or experiences you had with them.
- Describe any special events or celebrations you participated in together.
- Sightseeing and exploration:
- Discuss any sightseeing trips or excursions you went on.
- Describe the places you visited, such as museums, parks, or historical sites.
- Highlight any new things you learned about the places you visited.
- Relaxation and leisure:
- Describe how you relaxed and took time for yourself during the holiday.
- Mention any hobbies or activities you enjoyed during your leisure time.
- Explain how this relaxation helped you feel refreshed and rejuvenated.
- Food and cuisine:
- Discuss any new foods or dishes you tried during your holiday.
- Describe the local cuisine and mention any favorite meals you had.
- Share any interesting food experiences or memorable dining experiences.
- Summarize the key points of your holiday experience.
- Express your overall feelings about the holiday and why it was enjoyable.
- Conclude with a positive note or a statement of gratitude for the experience.
Remember to organize your points in a logical order and use appropriate punctuation and grammar throughout your writing
Guideline Sample On the Composition
How I spent my last holiday
Title: How I Spent My Last Holiday
- I will write about how I spent my last holiday.
- It was a fun and exciting time for me.
- I went to a beautiful beach.
- The beach had white sand and clear blue water.
- I played in the sand and built sandcastles.
- I also swam in the ocean and had a great time.
- I went with my family.
- We had a lot of fun together and made great memories.
- We visited a famous lighthouse nearby.
- It was tall and had a bright light at the top.
- I relaxed under a big umbrella on the beach.
- I read books and enjoyed the peaceful sound of the waves.
- We had a picnic on the beach.
- We ate sandwiches, fruits, and had a delicious ice cream treat.
- I had a wonderful time on my last holiday.
- It was a great opportunity to relax and have fun with my family.
Remember to use capital letters at the beginning of sentences and end each sentence with a period. Also, try to write in complete and clear sentences to express your ideas effectively
- I __________ to a beautiful beach for my last holiday. a) went b) going c) go
- The beach had __________ sand and clear blue water. a) white b) black c) yellow
- I enjoyed __________ in the ocean during my holiday. a) swimming b) dancing c) cycling
- I went to the beach with __________. a) my family b) my teacher c) my pet
- We visited a famous __________ nearby during the holiday. a) lighthouse b) shopping mall c) movie theater
- I relaxed under a big __________ on the beach. a) umbrella b) tree c) rock
- We had a __________ on the beach during the holiday. a) picnic b) party c) concert
- I read __________ on the beach during my holiday. a) books b) newspapers c) magazines
- We ate sandwiches, fruits, and __________ during our beach picnic. a) ice cream b) pizza c) chocolate
- Overall, I had a __________ time during my last holiday. a) wonderful b) terrible c) boring
Please note that the correct answers to the questions are as follows:
- a) went
- a) white
- a) swimming
- a) my family
- a) lighthouse
- a) umbrella
- a) picnic
- a) books
- a) ice cream
- a) wonderful
Sample : How I spent my last holiday
During my last holiday, I had a fantastic time at a beautiful beach with my family. We built sandcastles, swam in the ocean, explored a lighthouse, enjoyed a beach picnic, and relaxed under an umbrella. It was a memorable experience filled with fun, bonding, and delicious treats.
Title: Lesson Plan Presentation – How I Spent My Last Holiday
Grade Level: Primary 3 Subject: English Grammar
- Warm-up (5 minutes):
- Begin the lesson by engaging students in a short discussion about holidays.
- Ask questions like “Who can tell me about a memorable holiday they had?” or “What activities do you enjoy during holidays?”
- Encourage students to share their experiences and ideas.
- Introduction (5 minutes):
- Introduce the topic by explaining that students will be writing about how they spent their last holiday.
- Show picture cards depicting various holiday scenes to spark their imagination and provide visual support.
- Teacher’s Activities (10 minutes):
- Present a model composition on the board, highlighting simple sentences and narrative elements.
- Discuss each sentence and ask students to identify the key components (e.g., subject, verb, object).
- Emphasize the importance of using appropriate vocabulary and organizing ideas in a logical sequence.
- Learners’ Activities (15 minutes):
- Distribute individual writing notebooks or sheets to the students.
- Instruct them to brainstorm and write down points on how they spent their last holiday.
- Encourage students to use simple sentences and include details about their activities, location, and companions [mediator_tech]
- Group Discussion (10 minutes):
- Divide the class into small groups.
- Instruct students to take turns sharing their holiday experiences within their groups.
- Encourage active listening and provide constructive feedback on language usage and sentence structure.
- Assessment (10 minutes):
- Collect students’ written compositions for assessment.
- Use an assessment rubric to evaluate their use of simple sentences, vocabulary, grammar, and organization of ideas.
- Evaluation Questions:
- What is the topic of today’s lesson?
- What are the learning objectives for this lesson?
- How can you construct simple sentences to describe your holiday?
- Why is it important to use appropriate vocabulary when writing about your experiences?
- How can you organize your ideas in a narrative composition?
- What are some key components of a sentence?
- Why is active listening important during group discussions?
- How can you provide constructive feedback to your peers?
- What elements will be assessed in your written composition?
- How can you improve your language skills while writing about your holiday?
- Conclusion (5 minutes):
- Recap the main points discussed during the lesson.
- Encourage students to practice narrating their holiday experiences using simple sentences and proper grammar.
- Express enthusiasm for reading their compositions in the next class
Note: The duration of each activity may vary depending on the class dynamics and student proficiency levels. Adjust the timings accordingly to ensure effective teaching and learning.