Subject: English Grammar
Class: Basic 3 / Primary 3 / Year 3
Term: Third Term
Week: Week 5
Past Continuous Tense
Previous Knowledge: The pupils have previous knowledge of
Present Continuous Tense ( Grade 3 Third Term Week 4)
that was taught in their previous lesson.
Behavioural Objectives : At the end of the lesson, pupils should be able to
• say the meaning of past Continuous Tense
• Give examples of sentences in past Continuous Tense
• Use past Continuous Tense correctly in sentences
• Wall charts
• Online Resource
• Picture or charts showing types of Adverbs
Methods of Teaching
• Role modelling
• Questions and Answers
• Story Telling
Past Continuous Tense
Past Continuous Tense is used to express action that was going on then. It is used to say what we were doing during the time in question. It is used to express action that was happening and continuous. Most verbs in past continuous Tense always end in “Ing”
Examples in sentences
1. She was dancing now.
2. We were eating now.
3. The teacher was writing on the board now.
4. Daddy was driving now.
5. The monkeys were eating the banana
6. They were running in the class.
7. I was preparing for the next subject.
8. She was drinking tea.
9. They were spending dollar notes at the mall
10. The criminals were shooting at the police.
The topic is presented step by step
Step 1: The class teacher revises the previous topic
Step 2: The class teacher introduces the new topic
Step 3: The class teacher allows the young learners to give their own contributions and he or she corrects them when the needs arise
Answer the following questions on past continuous tense
1. _____ they coming over for supper last night when you saw them or not?
2. Johnson _____ not eating bread when it started to rain
3. My cousins were _____ at our house last year
4. I _____ eating cake right then.
5. My sister _____ Yoruba Language when she was in Osun State
6. I _____ at the barber’s shop before i gained admission into the university
7. We _____ at a Shoprite restaurant before. Olumide called.
8. Why ________ playing golf with us?
he not was
9. They were _____ a new supermarket in Lagos tomorrow.
10. Andrew was _____ down on his bed.
11. What happened? Why _______ you ______?
were / cried
did / cried
12. Listen! Janet ______________ the door.
13. Silence please. My brother ___________.
was es slept
14. Why were you ___________ that onion ? It smells terrible.
15. My father was busy right then . He ______________ his favourite TV show .
16. I think your phone was ___________ then you were sleeping .
17. Some pupils ____________ their assignment in the classroom then .
8. The students ___________ to their French teacher. They were chatting with each other right now.
19. Some boys were waiting outside for you __________.
two hours ago
20. Why _______ you waiting for me?
The class teacher gives out a brief note and he or she goes round to mark