KNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTANDING THE WORLD
Subject : Basic Science and Technology First Term KG 1
Meaning of sunrise and sunset
Kindergarten 1 KG 1
1st Term / First Term
Instructional Materials :
- Wall chart
- Video relating to topic of discussion
- Scheme of Work
- Online Information
- 9 Year Basic Education Curriculum
Previous Knowledge :
The pupils have previous knowledge of
The planet earth
during their previous lessons
Behavioural Objectives : At the end of the lesson, the pupils should be able to
- say what causes day and night
- explain why the sun shines in the morning and the moon in the night
EXPLANATION: The sun rises from behind the earth in the east and sets below the earth in the west.
The time when the sun appears is called sunrise and the time the sun disappears is called sun set.
The length of time between sunrise and sunset is called daytime.
- PROMPTING QUESTION: What is sunrise and sunset?
- RESPONSE: Sunrise is when the sun comes out Sunset is when the sun goes
We have 12 hours of day time and 12 hours of night time. Day—is how long it takes the earth to spin all the way around so that you get a night and a day.
It takes 24 hours for the world to turn all way around, and we call it a day.
Day time is when you can see the sun from where you are and its light and heat can reach you. Night time is when the sun is on the other side of the earth from you and its light and heat don’t get you.
At any moment, half of the world is in daytime and half is in night-time.
Make sure you differentiate between electricity light and light that comes from the sun in explaining day and night.
- PROMPTING: Tell me about day and night
- RESPONSE: Day is when we can see the sun all around us
Night is when we see darkness everywhere.
- PROMPTING QUESTION: Where does the sun go in the night
- RESPONSE: At night, the sun goes to other parts of the world
The topic is presented step by step
The class teacher revises the previous topics
He introduces the new topic
The class teacher allows the pupils to give their own examples and he corrects them when the needs arise
Meaning of habitat
What animals need to survive in their habitats
The class teacher wraps up or conclude the lesson by giving out short note to summarize the topic that he or she has just taught.
The class teacher also goes round to make sure that the notes are well copied or well written by the pupils.
He or she does the necessary corrections when and where the needs arise.