KNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTANDING THE WORLD
Subject : Basic Science and Technology First Term KG 1
Meaning of Habitat
Kindergarten 1 KG 1
1st Term / First Term
Instructional Materials :
- Wall chart
- Video relating to topic of discussion
- Scheme of Work
- Online Information
- 9 Year Basic Education Curriculum
Previous Knowledge :
The pupils have previous knowledge of
during their previous lessons
Behavioural Objectives : At the end of the lesson, the pupils should be able to
- what habitat means ?
- say types of habitat
- mention the types of living things that can be found in each habitat
This topic is to help the children understand that living creatures, besides themselves, need their own space. The topic will help them to know that fish, birds, insects, and other creatures have homes and families.
Explain to them that habitat is an animal home which provides them with the necessary food, water, air and climate to live well.
Explain to the kids that many animals need a place that will be suitable for them, a place where their surrounding can adapt to their needs.
MEANING OF HABITAT
Habitat is a place where living things live . Some living things live in water , some live on trees while some live in the soil .They should be taught that the environment in which animals live is their habitat. Habitats are home and every living thing needs a home. The home of animals may not be like their home. It may be a tree, water or even a hole. But, whatever it is, that is the home of that animal.
- PROMPTING QUESTION: What is habitat?
- RESPONSE: Habitat is the natural home of animals. Animals have homes just like
- PROMPTING QUESTION: Mention three animals that live in water ?
- RESPONSE: Fish , octopus , whale ,
- PROMPTING QUESTION: Mention two animals that live on land ?
- RESPONSE: horse , cow . lion. snake
The topic is presented step by step
The class teacher revises the previous topics
He introduces the new topic
The class teacher allows the pupils to give their own examples and he corrects them when the needs arise
- what habitat means ?
- say two types of habitat
- mention the types of living things that can be found in water
- Mention two animals that live in holes
- say two living things that live is soil
- Where does a parrot live >
- Where does an earth live ?
The class teacher wraps up or conclude the lesson by giving out short note to summarize the topic that he or she has just taught.
The class teacher also goes round to make sure that the notes are well copied or well written by the pupils.
He or she does the necessary corrections when and where the needs arise.
Prepare for the next lesson by reading about
What animals need to survive in their habitats