HUMAN DEVELOPMENT FAMILY HEALTH (SANITATION) (I)
FIRST TERM E-LEARNING NOTE
SUBJECT: BASIC SCIENCE CLASS: JSS1
Term : First Term
Week: Week 6
Class : JSS 1
Previous lesson : The pupils have previous knowledge of
Human development Changes in boys and girls at puberty
HUMAN DEVELOPMENT FAMILY HEALTH (SANITATION) (I)
Behavioural objectives :
At the end of the lesson, the pupils should be able to
- explain the meaning of personal hygiene
- say how we can take care of our eyes , ears , nose and other parts of the body
- explain the benefits of good personal hygiene
- say the disadvantages of poor personal hygiene
Instructional Materials :
- Wall charts
- Related Online Video
- Flash Cards
Methods of Teaching :
- Class Discussion
- Group Discussion
- Asking Questions
- Role Modelling
- Role Delegation
Reference Materials :
- Scheme of Work
- Online Information
- 9 Year Basic Education Curriculum
- Precious seed BASIC SCIENCE FOR JUNIOR SECONDARY SCHOOLS BOOK 1
- NIGERIAN BASIC SCIENCE PROJECT BOOK ONE,
TOPIC: FAMILY HEALTH (SANITATION) (I)
Sanitation can be defined as the process whereby our bodies, clothes, shoes and environments are kept clean at all times, to prevent the microbial infections.
Personal health is a state of well being of our actual body, mind and the way we feel about ourselves and others. It is also defined by The World Health Organization (WHO) as a complete physical, mental and social well-being of human-being and not merely the absence of diseases.
The Importance Of Sanitation
- It will reduce to a bearable minimum the number of germs or pathogens in our bodies and environments.
- It will give us good looks and good health.
- It enables us to save money we might have spent on drugs and medical bills.
- It enables us to feel happy at all times.
- It makes us look neat and attractive in the public.
- It reduces government expenses on medical treatment of the citizens.
- It makes us energetic and able to perform our duties.
Methods of Keeping Human Bodies Clean
- Taking bath regularly.
- Cleaning of the fingers and toe nails.
- Cleaning of the nose.
- Cleaning of the ears.
- Cleaning of the eyes.
- Cleaning of the hair.
- Cleaning of the hands.
- Cleaning of the feet.
- Cleaning of the teeth.
- Cleaning of the clothes.
- Cleaning of the shoes.
1. Differentiate between personal health and sanitation.
2. Mention five importance sanitation.
CLEANING OF EAR, NOSE AND EYES etc
- You must be technical and careful about the way you wash the ear, nose and eyes when removing dust and dirt.
- The ear passage should be cleaned with cotton wool.
- Do not use sharp objects in your nose.
- You should be careful in washing your nose.
- Do not use chemical like soap to wash your eyes.
- Avoid opening your eyes to a very bright light.
- Cut your hair low and comb well to avoid lice living in it.
- Clean your teeth with tooth paste and brush.
- Wash your teeth as many times as you desire especially after each meal.
CLOTHES, SHOES AND UNDERWEARS
- Clothes should be thoroughly washed and dried in the sun and ironed properly.
- Underwear should be changed daily for proper hygienic conditions.
Methods Of Keeping Homes Clean
- Cleaning of the floor.
- Cleaning of the furniture.
- Cleaning of the window blinds.
- Cleaning of the bedroom.
- Cleaning of the sitting room.
- Cleaning of the kitchen.
- Cleaning of the bathroom.
- Cleaning of the toilets.
- State three ways of taking care of the eyes.
- What are the methods of keeping our home clean?
ADVANTAGES OF PERSONAL HYGIENE
- We look attractive and beautiful.
- It inhibits the breed of germs in our environment.
- It helps in sharp and clear eyes.
- The brain will be alert.
- It helps to save money we might otherwise spend on medical treatment.
DISADVANTAGES OF POOR HYGIENE
- It makes us and our surrounding look untidy.
- We become unhappy when we are sick.
- It makes our parents spend money in the hospital when we are sick.
- Poor hygiene causes diseases – causing micro-organisms to develop on our bodies, shoes, clothes, homes.
1. State the ways of improving good health in the family.
2. Identify the advantages and disadvantages of personal hygiene.
3. State three ways of taking care of the eyes.
4. What are the methods of keeping our home clean?
READING ASSIGNMENT: Integrated Science made Easy By F.I Kehinde Page 1-9, Precious seed BASIC SCIENCE FOR JUNIOR SECONDARY SCHOOLS BOOK 1 PAGE 9-22
1 _______ is a state of well being of our actual body, mind and the way we feel about ourselves (a) Health (b) Family (c) Body (d) Relaxation
2 Poor hygiene causes ______ (a) Sound health (b) Sickness (c) Sharp and clear eyes (d) Wealth
3 Advantages of personal hygiene include the following except ______ (a) Looking attractive (b) ability to save more money (c) looking beautiful (d) looking untidy
4 _______ improves the health of the family (a) Exercise (b) Bad habit (c) Dirty environment (d) sickness
5 Which of the following might result from poor hygiene of the teeth (a) toothache (b) tooth decay (c) extracting the bad teeth (d) all of the above
1 Explain personal hygiene.
2 State three advantages and three disadvantages of hygiene
The topic is presented step by step
The class teacher revises the previous topics
He introduces the new topic
The class teacher corrects the pupils when and where the needs arise .
The class teacher wraps up or conclude the lesson by giving out short note to summarize the topic that he or she has just taught.
The class teacher also goes round to make sure that the notes are well copied or well written by the pupils.
He or she does the necessary corrections when and where the needs arise.
(Visited 796 times, 1 visits today)