Grammar: Words and opposite: Antonyms
Basic 6 / Primary Six
Previous lesson :
The pupils have previous knowledge of
Grammar: Relationship among style, purpose and The audience
Behavioural objectives :
At the end of the lesson, the pupils should be able to
- say the meaning of antonyms
- give examples of antonyms
- say how antonyms are formed
Instructional Materials :
- Wall charts
- Related Online Video
- Flash Cards
Methods of Teaching :
- Class Discussion
- Group Discussion
- Asking Questions
- Role Modelling
- Role Delegation
Reference Materials :
- Scheme of Work
- Online Information
- 9 Year Basic Education Curriculum
Antonyms are words that words that ore opposite in meaning . They are different words with their respective opposites .
How to form Antonyms of Words
- by changing the entire words eg up __down , hot __ cold , Brave ___ coward , Black __ white
- by adding prefixes eg merit __ demerit , happy __ unhappy , legal ___ illegal
- by adding suffixes eg hopeful __ hopeless , careful __ careless , merciful __ Merciless etc
The topic is presented step by step
The class teacher revises the previous topics
He introduces the new topic
The class teacher allows the pupils to give their own examples and he corrects them when the needs arise
The class teacher wraps up or conclude the lesson by giving out short note to summarize the topic that he or she has just taught.
The class teacher also goes round to make sure that the notes are well copied or well written by the pupils.
He or she does the necessary corrections when and where the needs arise.
- What is an antonym ?
- Mention three ways by which we can form antonyms ?
- Write out five words and their antonyms
- Explain is a prefix,
Prepare for the next lesson by reading about
(Visited 363 times, 3 visits today)