Giving Formal Speeches
Giving Formal Speeches
Primary 6 / Basic 6
Reference Materials : .
Scheme of work
Instructional Materials :..
- Pictures of renowned speakers giving out speeches
Previous Knowledge :
The pupils have previous knowledge of how to write biography and auto biography
Behavioural Objectives : At the end of the lesson, the pupils should be able to
- Write out Good speech
- Present good speech
- Give out a short speech during special events like graduation, inter House sports or during special assembly
A speech is a group of specific voices, sentences or words that are said or presented at a very important social functions and gathering.
For any student to be good at present speeches as special events or functions, such students must bear the following in mind
- Make jottings or short scripts of what the whole idea is. This gives flesh to your thoughts and idées as what you intend to say at the special event becomes visible whe and written down
- Plan, practice and rehearse. Yes. You may need to rehearse but that does not mean that you will have to cramm everything words words for words. Failure to plan is planning to fail. Practice leads to perfection and the possibility of making mistakes is reduced
- Make sure that your speech is short, powerful, precise and on point. Make use of powerful quotations from good speakers to drive home your points and don’t forget to give credits to authors of quotes that you have used when preparing and presenting your own speech
- Speak up. Make your voice audible when giving out your speech, after all your speech is meant to bee heard and not to be seen. Use vivid graphic illustrations and powerful adjectives to make your points come alive
Types of speech that pupils may be required to give or prepare for
- Founders day
- Cultural day
- Inter House sports
- Fund raising programme
- Graduation ceremony
- Vote of thanks during or after PTA meeting
- Prize giving day
The topic is presented step by step
The class teacher revises the previous topics
He introduces the new topic
The class teacher allows the pupils to give their own examples and he corrects them when the needs arise
Write out a speech as one of the prefect of your school to address the issues of coming late to school
The class teacher wraps up or conclude the lesson by giving out short note to summarize the topic that he or she has just taught.
The class teacher also goes round to make sure that the notes are well copied or well written. He or she does the necessary corrections when the need arises.
Prepare for the next lesson by reading about