Examination malpractices may lead to a repeat of the subject or suspensions don’t be involved.
Subject: ENGLISH LANGUAGE Duration: 2HR Class: JSS 1
What part of speech is the underlined word in each of the following?
- I didn’t do my homework because I was ill (a) noun (b) verb (c) adjective (d) adverb
- She told a lie because she was afraid (a) noun (b) verb (c) adjective (d) adverb
- She chose the cloth because of its brightness (a) noun (b) verb (c) adjective (d) adverb
- She burnt the trash of its odour(a) noun (b) verb (c) adjective (d) adverb
- Mrs. Agada persuaded the Policeman(a) noun (b) verb (c) adjective (d) adverb
In the following passage, the numbered gaps indicate missing words. Against each number In the list below the passage, five choices are offered in columns A-E. For each question, choose the word that is most suitable to full the numbered gaps in the passage.
Locusts are insects that feed on 6 . They are very ____7_____. They are regarded as man’s oldest enemies because, by destroying farmlands, they cause much suffering, starvation and ______8_____. Locustss eat anything _____9_____. Locust fly during warm, dry days when their body _____10______is high.
A B C D E
- Plants animals insects water fish
- friendly reproductive destructive happy sad
- danger famine horror neglect shock
- black yellow pink green brown
- temperature blood environment feeling odour
Choose the word which does not rhyme with the others in each group
- (a) jaw (b) joy (c)toy (d) boy
- (a) coil (b) call (c) ball (d) tall
- (a) noise (b) boys (c) toys (d) rays
- (a) join (b) coin (c) loin (d) bout
- (a) gown (b) down (c) dawn (d) town
Use context clues Fill In each blank appropriately using one of the prepositions in the box below
- a) in (b) at (c) for(d) on
- I met my cousin ______ Lagos
- I’ll see you _______ Saturday
- We’ll see _______ Nigeria next year
- My birthday is _________ the 8th of July
- I live _______ No. 3 Adaramola Street
- I am _______ the party. I told you about
- The doctor said ”see you _______ two months”
- I was ________ bed when I heard the knock
- I am travelling to Abuja _____ Saturday
- My school was established _______ 1931
Fill in each the blanks below with a word from the column
A B C D E
Western rolled nested silver breathed
- She only ____________ the words and they were difficult to hear
- The great waves __________ onwards towards the shore and the wind was strong
- Bisi went for a walk in the __________ light of the moon
- Emeka found two birds ________ in the Kola nut tree
- The northern part of the Country has a temperate climate but the __________ part is hot and wet
Answer any three questions (one from each part). For question one your answer should be about two hundred words long. Choose either A or B and write on it.
1.Write a composition on:” The causes of road accidents on Nigerian roads.”
2.Write a letter to your sister who has just arrived in another state to live with an uncle advising her to be well behaved while there.
Instruction: fill in the blank with the most suitable options in the bracket
He book belongs to her Change the verbs in brackets to correct form to complete the sentences below. E.g Bello is —– a letter(write)
Bello is writing a letter. Now do this:
1a.The child had—-the entire bottle of water before I came in.(drink)
b.Ojo has —- many plans before the chairman of the company.(lay)
c.His other together with his sister—— in the bakery.(work)
d.Neithery the back tyre of the bicycle nor the brakes.
e.All the girls but Biola —– in Ibadan
2.Answer Give the plural of the following.
d.prisoner of war
3.Make adverbs from the following verbs
- Wonder b. Comfort c. Surprise d. Joke
LITERATURE IN ENGLISH
1.Discuss the themes and setting of Ugonna the school Drop Out.
- Explain any three of the following:
Metaphor Simile Personification Irony Hyperbole
DOWNLOAD THIRD TERM EXAMINATION FOR JUNIOR SECONDARY SCHOOL JSS 1 ENGLISH GRAMMAR