JSS 1 SECOND CRS LESSON NOTE
2ND TERM SCHEME OF WORK
CLASS: J.S. S 1 Basic 7
- Review of first term work
- Call to Service
- Joseph responded to call service. Gen 37
- The call of Moses. Exo 3
- The call of Joshua to Service
- Call to obedience, Abraham Obedience to God’s call
- Relationship in family
- Relationship in the school community
- Relationship in the church.
TOPIC: CALL TO SERVICE.
MEANING OF SERVICE: Service means providing something of value that meets the need of the public and society to satisfy their needs. It also means to work for a person, country or an organization for a reward in the form of wages or salary.
Service is needed in the family, school, community, societies and the nations. People’s services are needed everywhere even in our churches. Individuals should endeavour to give their best in services whenever they are opportune to do so.
EXAMPLES OF PEOPLE WHO RESPONDED TO GOD’S CALL IN THE BIBLE:
God needed the service of some people in the bible and he decided to choose those he would like to work with him, he called the following and they responded instantaneously.
Abraham- was first called to leave his father’s house to the land which God not tell him the exact place before he left Haran, he obeyed and followed God still.
Moses – Moses was called and chosen by God to deliver the children of Israel from the bondage of the land of Egypt.
Joseph- God called Joseph indirectly using his brother s who sold him out to the Ishmaelite and the Ishmaelite to Egypt where he first served in the house of Portipher, God tested him and he passed the test, although he was unjustly imprisoned based on false accusation but in a matter of time was vindicated and God remembered him and he was released from the prison to fulfil God’s mandate in the land of Egypt.
Joshua – Joshua was called by God to continue from where Moses stopped after the death of Moses, without hesitation he obeyed all of God’s instruction and led the people of Israel to the promise land.
Isaiah- Isaiah heard the voice of the Lord and he said “Here I am send me Lord”
Jeremiah- Jeremiah also heard the call of God and did not hesitate to render service to God.
NAMES OF SOME PEOPLE WHO SERVED THE SOCIETY FAITHFULLY: They include;
Dr. Mrs. Dora Akunyili, Chief Obafemi Awolowo, Herbert Macaulay, Fumilayo Kuti, etc
- Apart from the above mentioned, mention other five people you know who served faithfully in our contemporary.
- Why is it important to render a faithful and acceptable service to God?
TOPIC: JOSEPH RESPONDED TO CALL SERVICE.
Joseph Responded to Call Service (Gen 31:1-36)
Jacob the father of Joseph loved him more than other Sons and because of that his brothers punished him and sold him into slavery, in Egypt. God called him to deliver the Israelites from the commune famine that is to befall the Lord of Canaan Joseph was sold to the Egyptians. While he has with Portiphar he became one of his favorite servants because of the wisdom of God and the power to interpret dreams. He was of a good character and well trusted.
Potiphar made him the Chief of his servants and put everything he had under his control Joseph was faithful to Potiphar
One day Potiphar’s wife tempted Joseph to sleep with her in order to test his faithfulness and loyalty to his master, but Joseph refused because he had the fear of God and was falsely accused which led to his detainment in the prison. Even in the prison God was also with him. He was brought out of the prison because he was able to interpret the dreams of the porter and the baker. God gave him wisdom and understanding to interpret the dream of Pharaoh and He was made the prime minister of Egypt.
When Joseph was made the prime minister of Egypt, He was charged with responsibility of planting, harvesting and storing grains against a server famine which he had earlier predicated. The famine was to last for seven years so plenty of foods had to be planted and stored. He was with the farmers and Labors clearing the Land and Planting crops. When the grain was harvested he supervised the building of barns in all cities of Egypt to store the grains.
When the famine came, pharaoh directed all his people to Joseph to for food because he had been given the responsibility. Joseph had enough food for all the people because he had done his work faithfully and efficiently none of the food was wasted and each family was given enough food to feed itself. With proper management there was even surplus grain for people from other counties to buy from Egypt.
WAYS OF MAINTAINING GOOD RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD
- Praying and live holy life.
- Worshiping and doing good to others.
- Loving one another.
- Forgiving one another
- Reading our bible every day.
MORAL LESSONS FROM THE SERVICE OF JOSEPH IN EGYPT
- like Joseph fled from the enticement of Portiphar’s wife we should always run away from sin.
- If we want to be remembered for good even after er have left this world we should render good services to people around us.
- every good service will be rewarded here on earth also in heaven.
- God rewarded Joseph good and service with promotion, also he became the prime minister in Egypt.
- In what ways can we maintain a good relationship with God?
- Narrate the story of Joseph slavery in Egypt.
TOPIC: THE CALL OF MOSES (Exo 3)
When the Pharaoh who knew not the children of Israel emerged in Egypt, he made the children of Israel to carry bricks and gave them hard labour. But God saw their plight and decided to send Moses to their rescue.
After Moses escaped from Egypt he went to Median where he later married the daughter of the priest of the Median called Jethro, who became his father inlaw and Moses assisted him in taking care of his flocks and one of the days he was taking care of the flocks, one of them escaped to a high mountain. Moses in bid to rescue it ran after it until he came across a burning bush, the sight of the burning bush caught his attention because he saw the bush burning but the leaves were not consumes, he decide to go closer to see, but as he drew closer, an angel of God appeared to him in the burning bush and then he heard the voice of God calling his name saying “Moses, Moses” and Moses answered and said “here am I” and God said do not come near, put off your shoes from off your feet, for the ground on which you are standing is a holy ground.
Moses heard God’s voice and he answered, God spoke to him and told him how he was to deliver the children of Israel from Egypt, even though Moses gave excuse of being a stammerer, God insisted that he is the one chosen for the assignment and promised to be with him.
THE SIGNIFICANCE OF MOSES RESPONSE TO GOD’S CALL
- God can decide to use anyone for his service regardless of their weaknesses
- God does not need a perfect man to carry out service for him, He goes for the imperfect to get them perfected in the course of rendering service to him.
- The deliverance of the Israelites was to fulfill God’s promise to Abraham.
- The attention God gave to the affliction of the Israelites shows that God is not insensitive to our pains and suffering.
- Narrate the story of the call of Moses.
TOPIC: THE CALL OF JOSHUA TO SERVICE (Josh 1:1-18)
After the death of Moses, God called upon Joshua to take over the Leadership of the people of Israel. It was Joshua that took them across river Jordan to the Promised Land (Canaan) God’s instruction to Joshua was for him to go over Jordan and also select men among the Israelites that would be with him only for him to be very courageous and fear not.
God showed himself to Joshua as the commander of the army of Israel.
Joshua conquered many areas of the Promised Land.
When Moses was about to die, He appointed Joshua who would succeed him, no problem of Leadership they had already known their leader before the death of Moses. God promised to give him all the lands the sole of his foot shall tread, also that no man will be able to stand before him all the days of his life, God also promised to be with him as He was with Moses.
SIGNIFICANCE OF JOSHUA’S RESPONSE TO GOD’S CALL
- God is not limited by circumstances even when He has made a promise.
- God wants us to trust Him for the accomplishment of any assignment He has given us.
- God wants us to always respond positively to His calls because He alone who has called us can help us.
- God was not through with the Israelites even after the death of Moses.
- With courage and faith in God, Joshua severed the people successfully by leading them to conquered promise Land.
- Joshua imported the qualities of courage and faith in God when he advised his people to be faithful and loyal to God in a covenant renewal ceremony.
- Narrate the story of the call of Joshua to service.
- Mention two significances of Joshua’s response to God’s call.
TOPIC: ABRAHAM’S OBEDIENCE TO GOD’S CALL
THE CALL OF ABRAHAM (Gen 12:1-9)
God called Abraham, when the time came to perform the duties assigned to him on earth.
Abraham responded to God’s call in faith, trust, Obedience and courage.
Abraham’s father was Terah, He was the descendant of those people who were scattered in small language or groups after the fall of tower Babel Indent. He grew up in Ur in Mesopotamia, to Haran, In northern Mesopotamia
When Terah died in Haran young man took over the responsibility of his family after the age of seventy fives. The time came for God appeared to him and called him to leave his country and his relations. He was to go to a new Land that God Said.
“Go from your country and your hindered and your father’s house to the Land that I will make you a great nation and I will bless you and him who curses I will curse and by you, all the families of the earth shall blessed.
Abraham’s task was to be a blessing to all the families on earth. The blessing consist in the fact that the knowledge of salvation, which will bring mankind into a new relationship with God so that good relationship will exist between God and as and with each other will be given to Abraham and his descendants.
Therefore the tasks of Abraham and his descendant, the Jews was to make known to us the way of salvation.
Abraham responded faithfully to God’s call immediately God called him, he handed over the responsibilities as head family and left for the strange and new land that God would show him. He went with his wife Sarah and his nephew lot and his wife. They left Haran with all their Servants and as much as their property as they could carry from Haran, Abraham and his group travelled southwards for meets and months family, they entered the Land of Canaan and came to the city of Shechem. In the time of Abraham, Canaan was called a Land flowing with milk and honey because it was very beautiful and fertile.
Shechem was an Important Canaanite town it was noted for its religious activities. In the center of the town was a scared three called the promise land. To show his gratitude to God for his special favour. Abraham built an altar in honour of God.
THE IMPORTANT OF ABRAHAM’S RESPONSE TO GOD’S CALL
When Abraham left Haran he did not know where he was going. Yet he was sure that God would guide him and protect him on the way. This showed that Abraham was a man of faith, trust, Obedience and Courage. These are the qualities expected of Christians to have these good qualities so that they may succeed in their various tasks on earth.
Religious and moral lesson
- God expects you to respond to His call to perform special duties.
- Abraham responded to God’s call with faith, trust, obedience and courage.
- Abraham built an altar in honour of God, your parents, teacher and elders for all the benefit you have received and will continue to receive from them.
GOD’S PROMISES TO ABRAHAM
- To make him a great nation.
- To bless him and make his name great.
- To bless them that bless him and curse them that curse him.
- In his family shall all the families of the earth be blessed.
Explain in brief Abraham’s response to God’s call in sacrificing his only son Isaac.
CRS JSS 1 SECOND TERM EXAMINATION
TOPIC: RELATIONSHIP IN THE FAMILY
Meaning of family:
A family is defined as a group of people that consists one or two parents and the children.
The Parent and the members of the family. This type of family in Known as Nuclear family we have another type of family called Extended family. This types consist of one or two parents, their children and close relations such as uncles, aunties, Nephews, Cousins.
Family Name: This is a surname that is a name that shows which family one belong to.
THE ROLE OF MEMBERS OF THE FAMILY
All members of the family have their own role to play. The role of the husband father is to love his wife, honour her and give her respect so that joy of the Lord will be in her.
THE HUSBAND (father) is to love his wife, provide for his family and train the children in the fear of God i.e be the pastor of his house.
THE WIFE:(Mother) is to submit to her husband, take care of the house and children and pray for her husband and children.
THE CHILDREN: The children are to obey their parents and assist in taking care of their younger ones.
If you want to have a good relationship with God, you must maintain a good relationship with man.
- What are the roles of individual members of the family?
- How can relationship in the family be improved upon?
TOPIC: RELATIONSHIP IN THE SCHOOL COMMUNITY
Meaning of school: A school is a place where organized learning takes place.
The school is also like a family with different members. Generally the school consist of five different group of members, they are:
- THE PRINCIPAL
- THE VICE PRINCIPAL (ACADEMICS AND ADMIN)
- THE CLASS TEACHERS.
- THE SCHOOL PREFECTS AND CLASS CAPTAINS.
Good relationship among the children always starts from school when the children are first admitted into the school. They are all individual from different homes and backgrounds. They are new to each other because most of them are seeing each other for the first time, they give them some time, they will come together eating together and discussing their problem together. They know themselves better. They know their names family background, States, tribes and even nationalities. They know their likes and dislike.
In school students form organizations like Science Club, debating Society, Singing group, Christians Union, cultural society. The students study together, play friendly matches together. After leaving the school friendships extend to their adulthood.
Examination CRS JSS 1 3rd Term Week 11
FACTORS THAT AID IN CHOOSING FRIENDS IN SCHOOL
The following are the factors that should guide us in choosing friends:
- Common Interest: We should choose friends who we share the same interest with and the interest should be for positive impact.
- Age: Our friends should be people within our age group so that we can learn and help each other.
- Religion affiliation: Children from the same religion may likely choose each other as friends rather than choose someone from the opposite religion.
- Intellectual talent: Children who can play the same game are likely to be friends. Those who also have similar intellectual abilities and interest e.g science student will want to be friend with another science student.
- Sex: Students of same sex prefer to be friends to each other instead of the opposite sex.
- Define school.
- What are the factors that aid in choosing friends in school?
- Mention the five members of the school community.
TOPIC: RELATIONSHIP IN THE CHURCH
CONTENT: RELATIONSHIP IN THE CHURCH (Rom 12:921)
Meaning of church:
Church is defined as a local congregation of Christians. The church can be defined in two ways; the church as a building and the church as a body or group.
The church as a building is a place where Christians gather to worship God while the church as a body comprises of the collection of believers i.e those who have given their lives to Jesus and are doing his biddings. It can also be referred to as the assembly of believers When one finds himself in the congregations of believers who worship God together a lot of experience are seen and gained He/She worships God and God always reveals himself to him/her during such worship.
Love is the greatest instrument of good relationship. As Christians students we must demonstrate genuine love to brothers and sisters both Christians and non-Christians alike. Always eager and willing to help other do not to persecute others.
Let the word of peace and comfort be heard from us always. It is good to contribute g generously to the need of the saints. Let people know us or see us as a good Christians students that’s worthy of emulation our good character will lead people to the kingdom of God.
It is expected of us to show our sympathy when someone is hurter, injured. We must see it as our duty to bring joy and happiness to people in the school, at home or in the community.
“Live in harmony with one another do not be naughty but associate with the lowly never be conceited” Romans 12:6
Love can also be demonstrated in the church through the following ways;
- Praying for one another.
- Helping one another.
- Loving one another.
- Accommodating one another.
- Forgiving and not revenging.
- Obeying instructions from church leaders.
ROLES OF INDIVIDUAL MEMBERS OF THE CHURCH
(i) Pastors: Ministers to the congregation and entire church.
(ii) Choir: they inspire the church with songs ministration.
(iii) Ushers: they give members of the church warm reception including first timers and sometimes they take care of the church premises.
(iv) Children teachers: they assist the children, they teach and take care of the children in their church.
(v) The evangelists: they evangelize the gospel, they are also instrumental to increment in church growth and expansion.
Week 10 and 11 Revision
12th Week Examination.
CRS JSS 1 SECOND TERM EXAMINATION