SCHEME OF WORK
THEME:BASIC HUMAN AND PHYSIOLOGICAL PROCESSES IN RELATION TO NUTRITION
- The Digestive system: (i) Meaning of Digestion (ii) Definition of simple metabolic terms e.g. Enzymes absorption. (iii)Digestion and absorption of nutrients (Carbohydrates, proteins etc.) in the mouth and esophagus.
- The Digestive system: (iv) Digestion and absorption of nutrients (Carbohydrates, proteins etc.) in the stomach and intestines. (v) Functions of enzymes e.g. ptyalin, amylase, trypsin, maltase etc. (vi) The role of water in digestion and absorption.
- Reproductive Health: (i) Definition of Reproductive health. (ii)Identification of male and female organs. (iii) The relationship between nutrition and reproductive health.
- Reproductive Health: (iv) Dietary deficiency diseases e.g. kwashiorkor, obesity, marasmus etc. (v) signs, symptoms and causes of dietary deficiency diseases.
THEME: KITCHEN MANAGEMENT
- Kitchen plans equipment and tools: (a) Kitchen plans (b) Cooking equipment- selection uses and care. (c) Factors to consider:-affordability of the equipment, need for the equipment, availability of space, durability, ease of operation.
- Kitchen plans equipment and tools: (d) Uses of different cleaning agents and abrasives (commercial and local). (e) Abrasives: vim, eggshell, sand, pawpaw leaves, charcoal, ashes.
8.Kitchen safety and Hygiene: (i) Methods of handling kitchen equipment properly (ii) reasons for maintaining safety in the kitchen. (iii) Content and use of first aid box. (iv) Simple first aid treatments-cuts, burns and scalds etc. (v) Rules of personal hygiene (vi) Kitchen pests –preventive measures e.g. fumigation, door/window netting, regular cleaning etc. (vii) kitchen waste disposal measures.
- Kitchen safety and Hygiene: (viii) Food handling practices and food borne (ix) Food sanitation laws e.g. NAFDAC, SON (Standard organization of Nigeria) (x) Misappropriation of family food budget.
10: Practical on the use of kitchen equipment and tools.
SUBJECT: FOOD AND NUTRITION
CLASS: SS 1