SUBJECT: FOOD AND NUTRITION
CLASS: SS 1
TOPIC: KITCHEN SAFETY AND HYGIENE
CONTENT: (i) Methods of handling kitchen equipment properly
(ii) Reason for maintaining safety in the kitchen
(iii) Content and use of first aid box,simple first aid treatment-cuts burns and scald
(iv) Rules for personal hygiene.
SUB-TOPIC 1: Methods of handling kitchen equipment properly
Safety is a state of being from danger or harm. The kitchen contain dangerous items can cause accident.
SAFETY PRECAUTION IN THE KITCHEN
- Do not litter floor with peeling of foodstuffs.
- Avoid spilling water on the floor.
- There should be lighting in the kitchen to avoid accident.
- Always use cutting bud to cut all ingredients to prevent cuts.
- Open all windows while cooking to prevent suffocation
- Label food containers appropriately.
METHOD OF HANDLING EQUIPMENT PROPERLY
- Check flexible lead and appliance such as kettle and toaster to be sure they are in good condition.
- Get an electrician to repair damaged cables or equipment.
- Do not use any electrical equipment or switches with wet hands.
- Do not clean any appliances like blender,juice extractor or kettle while it is plugged in.
- Do not fill kettle with water while it is plugged in.
- Large appliance such as fridge dish washers and washing machines can be plugged can be plugged into standard socket outlet.
- Always switch off all electrical appliance off immediately after.
REASONS FOR MAINTAINING SAFETY IN THE KICTHEN
- To prevent cuts,burns and scalds
- To prevent fall.
- To prevent fire outbreak.
- To prevent electric shock.
USE OF FIRST AID BOX
First aid isthe treatment given to sustain a victim before doctors attention. A first aid box is a box containing chemical substances and other materials needed tom treat accident victim before they are taken to hospital. It is used to treat simple accident cases in the home.
CONTENTS OF A FIRST AID BOX
- Cotton wool
- Crepe bandage
- Assorted bandage
- Triangular bandage
- Sterile dressing
- Iodine solution
- Methylated sprit
- Absorbent cotton
- Hydrogen peroxide
- What is safety?
- State three reasons for maintaining safety in the kitchen.
- List 5 contents of first aid box.
USE OF FIRST AID BOX
- It is used to attend to a victim of accident before taken to doctor.
- It is used to treat simple accident in the home or school.
- It should always be kept in the home in case there is accident occurrence.
SIMPLE FIRST AID TREATMENT
Cuts-cuts are opening or wounds on the body caused by sharp tools such as knife,scissors broken glass or bottle. It is done by holding the cut together,cleaning it and bandaging it before seeking medical treatment.
Burns and Scalds- Burns are injuries caused by fire or dry heat, one the other hand;scalds are injuries caused hot liquid such as hot oil,steam. Do not burst the blaster; rub shear butteror Vaseline or antiseptic cream.
RULES FOR PERSONAL HYGIENE
Hygiene is referring to general cleanliness of kitchen and its surrounding. It is refer to general personal grooming and working habit of a home maker and all kitchen workers. It is good to adopt personal procedure for maintaining a hygiene and sanitation of the kitchen and its environment.
- Home makers and people handling food must be fresh well groomed and clean.
- Hands should be washed with soap before starting work and after blowing the nose sweeping and after using toilet.
- Food handlers should wear clean apron and head cover to protect food from loose hair.
- Cut fingers nails and avoid nail polish and ring round the fingers.
- All cut and sores should be covered with water prove dressing.
KITCHEN PEST PREVENTIVE MEASURE e.g. Fumigation of door and window, netting, regular cleaning etc.
Kitchen pest are small destructive animals that move about in the kitchen destroying and contaminating food and carrying disease causing micro organism. These pests are rats,cockroaches,flies and ants. They can spoil foods as well as spread dangerous diseases such as laser fever.
Fumigation- this include the use of pesticide to eradicate the pest. They are different types of pesticide; they are available in powder and liquid. They should not be spread on food and naked flames.
Door/window netting- the window and then door should be properly netted in other to prevent the entry of pests.
Regular cleaning- Good hygiene in the kitchen and house helps to prevent pest from entering the house. It includes keeping the surrounding clean.
Store food properly- food should be stored properly in other to prevent pest infestation. Cereals and grains should be sundry regularly during storage to prevent weevils or should be stored with grounded pepper powder inside a tin; the pepper powder will help to suffocate the weevils. Perishables should be stored in freezer or refrigerator.
Kitchen waste disposal- kitchen waste is all the rubbish generated during the preparation and cooking of food in the kitchen. The peeling of food stuff and waterproof waste are examples of kitchen waste. Waste disposal measure in the kitchen includes:
- Use of dustbins
- Use of refuse bags
- Use for feeding animals
- Use for compost
- ………….. are destructive animals (a) kitchen pest (b) cockroaches (c) rat (d) dangerous rats
- Which of these measures is suitable for preventing kitchen pest (a) opening of doors/window (b) regular use of kitchen cabinet (c) prompt disposal of kitchen waste (d) boiling of water for steam evaporation in the kitchen?
- Which method of waste disposal is useful when disposing of broken plates,cups, bottles and glasses (a) burying (b)fumigation (c) burning (d) use of ruse bag.
- Accident can be prevented in the kitchen by (a) cooking adequate diets (b) keeping pest away from the kitchen (c) arranging equipment in order (d) sweeping the kitchen.
- The following are the items in a first aid box expect (a)razor (b) iodine (c) cotton wool (d) comb
- State five reasons why there should be first- aid box in the home.
- List five ways ofproper handling of kitchen equipment.
- State four causes of accident in the kitchen
WEEKEND ASSIGNMENT: Read food and Nutrition for Senior Secondary Schools by F.A Bakere N.M. Eze, H.Bala,H.Njoku page 91-94
Pre- reading Assignment: Food handling practices page 107
Weekend activities:Demonstrate how to clean kitchen in your school kitchen under supervision of the teacher.
Reference: Home Economics for Senior Secondary School by F.A Bakare N.M Eze, H.Bala,H.Njoku page 91-94
(Visited 5 times, 1 visits today)