SUBJECT: FOOD AND NUTRITION
CLASS: SS 1
TOPIC: Kitchen plans equipment and tools: (d) Uses of different cleaning agents and abrasives (commercial and local). (e) Abrasives: vim, eggshell, sand, pawpaw leaves, charcoal, ashes.
CONTENT: Uses of different cleaning agents and abrasive (commercial and local)
SUB-TOPIC 1:: Uses of different cleaning agents
1) Hot water is a better solvent than cold water, solvents are used to dissolve grease, evaporating and carrying the dirt with them .They are inflammable and should not be use near fire.
2) Soap and synthetic Detergent .They can emulsify grease and enable it to be washed away along with the dirt it held.
Abrasive Cleaner;Abrasive cleaner acts byrubbing off by friction. They vary in degree of coarseness.Soap,alkali and bleach may be added to the abrasives in the scouring powders to aid their cleaning powder.
They are used for cleaning pots e.g.vim.
Alkaline Cleaners: It should be carefully use because some may affect dyes and colours.
Borav: It can be used as a water softener in laundry work
Acidic Cleaner:e.g vinegar: This is useful in laundry for the purpose of reviving colours on coloured fabrics .It can be used to neutralise acids. It can be used for removing spots from furniture and for cleaning class windows mirrows.It removes tarnish from brass.
Lemon or Lime Juice: This is useful for cleaning copper.
- List four cleaning agents and state their uses.
- Enumerate the uses of these cleaning agents.
- Edo powder
- Local sandpaper leave
- Charcoal (grounded)
Sub-topic 2: Local Cleaning Agents
- Starch powder- It can be used for cleaning smooth surface as aluminumdishes, spoons brass and bronze ornaments.
- Chalk powder or paste (Nzu) Itcan is used for removing such stains as ink on a table and other surface.
- Fine sand: It can be used as an abrasive for cleaning pots, stained cement floor. It is not good for cleaning smooth surface e.g.aluminum
- Edo powder: It is suitable for cleaning ornaments such as gold and brass. Itimparts a golden appearance on gold-plated jewelry.
- Grounded chine ware: Broken china can be grounded and used as scouring powder.
- Egg-shell powder: Empty egg shells can be roasted, ground into fine powder and used as a scouring agent for sink bath tubs.
Paw-paw leaves: Fresh paw-paw leave or dry one can be used for cleaning black pots and pans
.If the inside of pot is stained by food ,fresh paw-paw leave can be boiled in the pot to remove the discolouration.
Local sand paper: They can be used as abrasives on metals that require refinishing .They are also used for cleaning black pots
Charcoal: Grounded charcoal can be used for cleaning smooth metals surface.
- One of the following groups emulsifies grease and aids its removal
- The agents which clean surfaces and dirt by rubbing off dirt are called
- One of the following can be applied to a surface to improve its appearance and protect it
- Acidic cleaner
- Methylated spirit is a solvent that can remove
- Mention two examples of Acidic Cleaner and two of alkaline cleaner
- Mention two uses of vinegar and two uses lemon and lime in cleaning.
Read Home Management for schools and colleges by Elizabeth Anyakoha and Margaret Eluwa. Page 257-259.
Pre-Reading Kitchen safety and hygiene.
Weekend Activity: Enumerate the procedure for preparing local vim and name the materials use for preparation.
Reference Texts: Home Economics for junior secondary by Elizabeth Anyakaoha page —and Home Management for schools and colleges by Elizabeth Anyakoha and Margaret Eluwa.
(Visited 4 times, 1 visits today)