Basic Science and Technology
Basic 4 / Year 4 / Primary 4
Previous lesson :
The pupils have previous knowledge of common pests control in their previous lesson
Human body (feeding system)
(A). The teeth
Incisors, canines, premolars, molars
(B). The tongue
(C). The lips
Behavioural objectives :
At the end of the lesson, the pupils should be able to
Instructional Materials :
- Wall charts
- Packet of Biscuit
- Related Online Video on The Teeth , Tongue and Lips
- Flash Cards
Methods of Teaching :
- Class Discussion
- Group Discussion
- Asking Questions
- Role Modelling
- Role Delegation
Reference Materials :
- Scheme of Work
- Online Information
- 9 Year Basic Education Curriculum
Human body (feeding system)
The human body is made up of so many systems that enables the body to function at optimal level . . The human body is a living body that can feed and breathe. It produces waste materials as a result of its work. It sends out these waste materials. There are special parts of the body which perform these duties. Each one is called a system . Some of the body system is the circulatory system , the nervous system , the excretory system , the digestive system , the reproductive system etc
The Feeding System In Human
The feeding system in Man is made up of the digestive system . Digestion is the process whereby food items that are eaten by man are absorbed into his system for the release of energy for his day to day activities .
The human feeding system consists of the lips, tongue and teeth. An adult human being has 32 teeth in his mouth. But little children have less than 32 because of your age.
The food you eat goes through a route in the body, and undergoes many changes before the body can use it. Solid foods, such as cooked yam and meat, must be broken down into little bits and then changed further by chemicals in the body. The final form is that which the body can use. There are many parts of the feeding system, and these have various jobs to do. This feeding system is also called the digestive system.
The teeth : The teeth are the white substances in the mouth that are made of calcium . The are very strong because they are used for biting , chewing or tearing of flesh . The types of teeth in human feeding system are the Incisors, canines, premolars, and molars .
Names and Functions of Teeth in Human Feeding System
- The biting teeth are called incisors. There are four of them in each jaw making eight in all . They are in the center position.
- The single tooth on each side of the incisors are called Those in flesh eating animals are very large and sharper than your own. Give two examples of animals which eat only eat.
- The next two teeth on each side of the canines are flat and little rounded. They are used for crushing and breaking down food. They are called premolars
- The last three teeth on each side of the premolars are broader than the premolars. They have more ridges on them. They are also used for crushing grinding. they are the molars
There are two stages of Teeth development in Human which are
- The Milk teeth or Temporary Teeth: These are the first set of teeth that are developed by babies at early stage in life . As children grow older . these set of teeth fall off and another set of teeth will emerge
- The Adult Teeth or Permanent Teeth : These are the set of teeth that will start to grow when the milk teeth set falling off . If any of these teeth should get removed by injury or accident , such tooth may not grow back again . An adult whose any of his permanent teeth is lost may visit a dentist and get an artificial tooth fix in place of t he lost one .
The tongue : The tongue is a thick flexible muscle that in located in the mouth among the teeth . The tongue plays a very vital role in the feeding system in Human . When food items are chewed in the mouth, the tongue aids in the softening of the food items by adding saliva to the food items . this makes the food items to be very soft and easy to swallow. The Tongue is also use to taste food in order to determine if such food is still fresh or good for human consumption.
The lips : There are two types of lips in human . The upper lip and the lower lip. When we chew our food , we close our mouth and chew our food with lips closed . It is not good to speak when we are at the table eating . The lips cover the teeth from being widely exposed . Women paints their lips to look more beautiful .
The topic is presented step by step
The class teacher revises the previous topics
He introduces the new topic
The class teacher allows the pupils to give their own examples and he corrects them when the needs arise
The class teacher wraps up or conclude the lesson by giving out short note to summarize the topic that he or she has just taught.
The class teacher also goes round to make sure that the notes are well copied or well written by the pupils.
He or she does the necessary corrections when and where the needs arise.
- The human adult has __________ teeth?
- How many types of teeth do you have? Name them
- When you eat boiled yam, which teeth do you use most?
- What is the canine used for?
- Mention two major categories of human teeth
- Mention two roles of the lips
Prepare for the next lesson by reading about classes of food
(Visited 1,146 times, 8 visits today)