Christian Religious Knowledge
Temptation : Meaning , Causes and How to Avoid Temptation
Basic 6 / Primary Six
Previous lesson :
The pupils have previous knowledge of Ordered Relationship in the Family, Church and Society
Behavioural objectives :
At the end of the lesson, the pupils should be able to
- explain the meaning of temptation
- say the causes of temptation
- mention various ways by which we can avoid or overcome temptation
Instructional Materials :
- Wall charts
- Related Online Video
- Flash Cards
- The Holy Bible
- My Book Of Bible Stories
Teaching Methods :
- Class Discussion
- Group Discussion
- Asking Questions
- Role Modelling
- Role Delegation
Reference Materials :
- Scheme of Work
- Online Information
- 9 Year Basic Education Curriculum
Memory verse: Luke 12; 15
Bible references: Matt 4: 1 – 11, James 1: 12 – 15, Luke 12: 13 – 21
Meaning of Temptation
Temptation is the desire or urge to do evil. Temptation is the feeling to have or do something that you know you should avoid. Temptation comes from the devil because he always want us to do the wrong thing and make God unhappy with us.
Satan always used our weakness to tempt us to sin. That is why he tried to tempt Jesus Christ after fasting for forty days and forty night. He knew Jesus was very hungry. That is why he told Jesus to turn stones to bread so that they might eat.
Causes of Temptation
- Extreme love for money and other material things.
- Lust and greed
- Self – centeredness
- Uncontrollable sexual urge
- Pride , envy or jealousy
- Keeping bad friends
Ways of Overcoming Temptation
- Through fasting and prayer.
- Flee all appearance of evil
- Through the word of God.
- Get involved in positive thoughts and deeds
- Through Self – discipline
- Be honest and be sincere always
Prayers: O lord, give us the grace to overcome temptation, in Jesus name. Amen.
The topic is presented step by step
The class teacher revises the previous topics
He introduces the new topic
The class teacher allows the pupils to give their own examples and he corrects them when the needs arise
The class teacher wraps up or conclude the lesson by giving out short note to summarize the topic that he or she has just taught.
The class teacher also goes round to make sure that the notes are well copied or well written by the pupils.
He or she does the necessary corrections when and where the needs arise.
- What is Temptation.
- List three ways of overcoming temptation
- How many times was Jesus Christ tempted ?
- Mention three causes of Temptation.
- Write out three temptation of our Lord Jesus Christ .
Prepare for the next lesson by reading about