Christian Religious Knowledge
Basic 6 / Primary Six
Previous lesson :
The pupils have previous knowledge of Goal Setting
Behavioural objectives :
At the end of the lesson, the pupils should be able to
- explain what it means to take decision
- mention steps that are involved in decision making
- say the situations that may involve decision making
- point out the importance of making good decisions now
Instructional Materials :
- Wall charts
- Related Online Video
- Flash Cards
- The Holy Bible
- My Book Of Bible Stories
Teaching Methods :
- Class Discussion
- Group Discussion
- Asking Questions
- Role Modelling
- Role Delegation
Reference Materials :
- Scheme of Work
- Online Information
- 9 Year Basic Education Curriculum
Memory verse: Ephesians 5: 16
Bible references: Ephesians 5: 16
Meaning of Decision – Making
Decision making is the act of making a choice from the so many alternatives or options or choices that we have . It is the act of making up your mind about something that you want to do or about something that you will not do . It is the process of choosing what to do. To achieve our goal we must make right decisions, organize our plans and arrange our task to save time.
Importance of Decision – Making
The following are the importance of decision making.
- It helps us to identify various options.
- It allows for ranking of choices.
- It reduces mistakes
- It allows you to set your goals and work out to achieve them.
- It allows you to identify problems that may rise, and come up with possible solutions.
- We are the product of whatever decision that we make
- When we make good decisions, we live a very good life
- Decision that we make today may determine how we live our lives tomorrow
The process of decision-making
In taking a decision about what you want to do, you should firstly find out the available options for it. Secondly, arrange the options in order of importance.
Maybe you can write out five or ten possible options and pic the second one . Some school of thoughts believe that when we give an issue a second thought , we make a better choice .
Thirdly, take the best option which would mean taking a good decision.
If a person wants to sit for an examination, he or she has to make a decision on how to work hard towards it. These might be the likely options to check.
1 Make a personal time table to study with and also join a good study group.
2 Study alone all the time.
3 Study with a group all the time.
4. Watch TV now and read all night a day before the examination
5. Organised for expo or come to the examination hall with expo
From the five options, it is obvious that the best option is option …………………..
This is because the personal time table will help the person to study alone very well. After studying, he or she can join a good study group to learn from others and share ideas with them.
Apart from making a decision on how to work towards passing examinations, there are other things in life we have to make decisions about. These include:
1. The types of friends to make.
2. When to eat.
3. What to eat.
4. When to go to school.
5. When to pray.
6. When to sleep.
7. When to speak
8. When to keep quiet
9. When to do your homework
10. When to watch TV and for How long it should be watched.
In making a decision on when to go to bed after school, one has to check the options of sleeping
- a) early.
- b) late.
- c) too late.
- d) too early.
From the above, option 1 seems to be the best. This is because going to bed early would help the person to wake up early to get to school, or anywhere he wants to go, in time. Sleeping too early would not enable the person to do his assignments or prepare himself for what he would do the next day. Sleeping late or too late would lead to lateness to school, work, business, and so on.
Advantages of Good Decisions
The advantages of good decision are:
- It helps us to achieve good result.
- It helps us to achieve good goal.
- It helps us to save time.
- People will be proud of us.
- It makes us to live a very good life
- It makes us to be healthy
Disadvantages of Bad Decision
- It wastes our time.
- Bad decision also bring shame to us and our guardians.
- It make us lose good things.
- It will produce bad result
- It will lead to mockery
- Making unhealthy bad food choice may lead to an unhealthy life styles
Prayers: O lord, help us to make the right decisions at all times, in all departments of our lives in Jesus name. Amen.
The topic is presented step by step
The class teacher revises the previous topics
He introduces the new topic
The class teacher allows the pupils to give their own examples and he corrects them when the needs arise
The class teacher wraps up or conclude the lesson by giving out short note to summarize the topic that he or she has just taught.
The class teacher also goes round to make sure that the notes are well copied or well written by the pupils.
He or she does the necessary corrections when and where the needs arise.
- What is decision making
- Mention four benefits of decision-making.
- Describe how to make a decision about the types of friends to make in your school.
- When is the best time for doing our home work
- Decide how long a good pupil should watch TV programme
- Choose the correct answers to the questions below.This is not one of the advantages of a good decision:A success B happiness C self-confidence D shame
Prepare for the next lesson by reading about
VALUE OF HARD WORK
(Visited 286 times, 1 visits today)