SUBJECT: DATA PROCESSING TIME: 2HRS
CLASS: SS 1
INSTRUCTION: ANSWER ALL THE QUESTIONS IN THIS SECTION
1. ____is a basic fact that needs to undergo processing.
A. information B. data C. output D. input
2. The methodology of converting data into information is ____
A. data and information B. data processing C. decision making D. none of the above
3. The major reason for data processing is ____ A. decision making B. conflict promotion
C. information generation D. data manipulation
4. In data processing, input activity involves_____ A. collection B. verification
C. retrieving D. all of the above.
5. One of these is not data property ____
A. presentation B. collection C. misuse D. accuracy
6. When data is encoded, it goes through _____
A. integration B. storage
C. transmission D. none of the above
7. Data processing is different from information processing in that ____
A. it uses fewer resources B. information can be retrieved with ease
C. it is more complex D. all of the above
8. In data processing, output activity involves _____
A. conversion B. interpretation C. acquisition D. none of the above
9. Napier’s Bones had ……..A. 9 rods B. 11 rods C. 10 rods D. 12 rods
10. Jacquard’s loom was used in the ……A. mechanical industry B. weaving industry C. food industry D. all of the above
11. ……. was the first calculating device. A. Napier’s Bones B. Punched card C. Abacus D. Slide rule
12. The octal number system has a radix of ……. A. 7 B. 10 C. 16 D. 8
13. The Decimal Number is in Base ……A. 2 B. 8 C. 10 D. 16
14. is a sequence of code words that represent a number or other data.
A. Algorithm B. Binary digit C. Machine language D. None of the above
15. The 2nd generation computers were based on______A. vacuum tubes B. transistors C. relays D. all of the above
16._ is the conversion of data into information.
A. Data processing B. Information generation C. Data encoding D. none of the above
17._ ______ are related to computers and other electronic devices that store, retrieve,
process and communicate digitalized data in accordance with a set of instructions
called programs A. Software B. Hardware C. Data D. None of the above
18._ The term “Data” refers to_____… A. information on any subject, history, culture and so forth B
numbers or symbols that are manipulated by computer C. things used for study or reference D. none of the above
19._ The ___ generation computers were based on semiconductor devices.
A. 1st B. 2nd C. 3rd D. 4th
20._ All of the following are data except ____… A. computer programs B. information C. numbers D. none of the above
21._ The basic unit of computer storage is called ____ . A . byte B. bit C. data D. none of the above
22._ The process of entering a program into a computer is called ____ . A . editing B. compilation C. programming D. storing
23._ Data conversion is performed by ____ .
A . input devices B. output devices C operators D storage units
24 ._ In a computer, the input device that is used to enter data into a microprocessor is called ____.
A . keyboard B. magnetic disk C. printer D. none of the above
25._ The task of organizing data into tables and manipulating these tables is called ______.
A . file management B. data management C. dictionary management D. database management
26._ To schedule a file for printing, _____ . A . hold the key down B. load it in RAM C send it to the spooler D. move your hands very quickly over the keyboard
27._ The amount of data that can be stored on a disk is referred to as its ____. A. storage space B. storage capacity C. storage area D. none of the above
28._ A set of programs that give instructions as to how a computer may be used is called ____ . A . operating system B. utility program C language processor D. application software
29._ The devices found inside the CPU are all part of _____ . A . the control unit B. memory devices C. the arithmetic logic unit D. none of the above
30._ Which of the following is not a type of processor? A. RISC processor B. CISC processor C. Embedded processor D. LSI chip
Part B Theory
- Mention the characteristics of first-generation computers.
- What did the second generation make use of?
- Describe a standard Punch Card.
- Explain Decimal Number system.
- Differentiate between data and information
- Define data processing.
- What is data processing?
- Describe a typical data processing cycle.
- Describe what is involved in each stage of data processing.
- Why is the computer a better tool for data processing?