Subject : Agricultural Science
Class : Jss 2 / Basic 8
Term : Third Term / 3rd Term
Week : Week 4
Topic : PRESERVATION OF FISH
Previous Knowledge : Learners have been taught
Systems of Fishery
in their previous lesson .
Behavioural Objectives : By the end of the lesson , learner will be able to
- Say the meaning of fish preservation
- Explain methods of fish preservation
PRESERVATION OF FISH
- Meaning of Fish Preservation
- Methods of Fish Preservation
Meaning of Fish Preservation
Fish preservation is the way of taking good care of fish after it has been captured in order to prevent it from going bad. Methods of preserving fish include the following:
Methods of Fish Preservation
- Sun drying: Removes water by evaporation and its cheap.
- Salting: Removes water and usually combine with other methods.
- Smoking: One of the oldest methods, adds taste and flavor.
- Freezing/refrigeration: Modern method, fish remain fresh no weight loss.
- Canning: It can last for a long period of time in cans.
- Conversion to fish meal.
- State six methods of fish preservation.
- Briefly explain how to smoke fish.