Subject : Agricultural Science
Class : Jss 2 / Basic 8
Term : Third Term / 3rd Term
Week : Week 2
Topic : USES OF FISH AND FISH PRODUCTS/OTHER AQUATIC ORGANISMS
Behavioural Objectives : By the end of the lesson , learner will be able to
- Give examples of Fish
- Mention various fish Products
- List other Aquatic Food Organisms
- Highlight different uses of Fish, Fish Products and Other Aquatic Food Organisms
- Teacher arrange a visit
to a nearby fish farm
- Presents pictures and
chart on fish and fish products
USES OF FISH AND FISH PRODUCTS/OTHER AQUATIC ORGANISMS
- Examples of Fish
- Fish Products
- Other Aquatic Food Organisms
- Uses of Fish, Fish Products and Other Aquatic Food Organisms
Examples of Fish
- Cat fish
- Mud fish
- Dog fish, Nile perch, etc.
Fish products include the following:
- Fish skin,
- Bones, etc.
Other Aquatic Food Organisms
- Periwinkle, etc.
Uses of Fish, Fish Products and Other Aquatic Food Organisms
Fish is high in demand for health today because of low cholesterol (unsaturated fat) content. Fish and other aquatic food organisms are important source of animal proteins, minerals and vitamins essential for normal growth and development of the body. These are:
- They are sources of food.
- The skin of some aquatic organisms e.g. shark, whale etc. are used as fine leather for making bags shoes belts etc.
- Fish production provides raw materials for industries.
- Fishery provides employment opportunity for many people.
- Fish and its parts may be processed into fish meal which is an essential ingredient in most animal feeds.
- The shell of oyster and periwinkle are used for decorating the walls of some buildings.
- Unlike pork, beef, mutton and chevon, fish has no cultural or religious barriers.
- Some fish (coloured fish ) are used for aesthetic (beautification ) purpose in homes.
- The bones of fish can be crushed and processed into fertilizers.
- Fish ponds can provide entertainment as well as instructional facility for students of agriculture and fishery.
- Fish and other aquatic food organisms are taken today by many because of low cholesterol level which help in reducing high blood pressure and obesity.
- List six importance of fish to man
- State four products of fish that are of economic importance.
- List three categorize of other aquatic organisms apart from fish and give two examples each.
(Visited 36 times, 1 visits today)