AGRICULTURAL SCIENCE SECOND TERM E NOTES FOR BASIC FOUR
MATERIALS FOR GROWING CROPS CONT.
- Explanatory posters/pictures
- Explanatory videos
Instructional Materials :
- Lagos State Scheme of Work.
- Online Materials.
- Physical and Health Education for Primary Schools
Previous Knowledge :
The pupils have been taught
MATERIALS FOR GROWING CROPS
in their previous lesson
At the end of the lesson , pupils should be able to
1. Explain the importance of fertilizer or manure.
2. List and Explain the importance of pests killing chemicals
Seeds to be grown must be viable (living healthy seeds). They must not be seeds that are affected by diseases. Examples are good seeds of beans, melon and maize grains.
- Good stem cutting
Good stem cuttings are used in growing cassava and some tree crops. The cuttings must not be affected by diseases and must be clean and healthy looking.
- Fertilizer or manure
Fertilizers or manure supply mineral nutrients that serve as food to crop plants. They are usually added to the soil to make our crops grow well and healthy.
- Pest killing chemicals
Chemicals called insecticides can be spayed on the plants to kill insects. Baits are used for rodents (rats, rabbit) and scare crow for birds. Chemicals called rodenticides can be used to kill rodents
The topic is presented step by step
The class teacher revises the previous topics
He introduces the new topic
The class teacher allows the pupils to give their own examples and he corrects them when the needs arise
1. Four materials needed for growing crops
2. Describe good seeds that can germinate easily
3. Describe good stem cuttings that can sprout easily
4. Explain the importance of fertilizer or manure.
5. List Explain the importance of pests killing chemicals
The teacher summarize the lesson. He or she gives out a board summary of the topic as note . He or she goes round to mark and does the necessary corrections
(Visited 36 times, 1 visits today)