Previous lesson :
The pupils have previous knowledge of The Meaning of Business Studies
INTRODUCTION TO BUSINESS STUDIES
Behavioural objectives :
At the end of the lesson, the pupils should be able to
- define business studies
- write out the scope of business studies
- mention the career opportunity in business studies
- point out the important of business studies
Instructional Materials :
- Wall charts
- Related Online Video
- Flash Cards
Methods of Teaching :
- Class Discussion
- Group Discussion
- Asking Questions
- Role Modelling
- Role Delegation
Reference Materials :
- Scheme of Work
- Online Information
- 9 Year Basic Education Curriculum
Business can be defined as a legal means (i.e good means) of earning a living by people in a society. People in the society earn their living on daily or monthly basis by engaging in one trade or the other. Therefore we can define business studies as the study of the means through which people in a society earn their living by engaging in commercial activities or occupational services.
It can also be defined as any legal commercial activities that is directed at satisfying human needs or wants profitably . For any activity to be term as business venture .it must be legal and it must be directed at satisfying human wants or needs . Business studies deals with how businesses works , how people and resources are managed and proper keeping and documentation of all necessary books .
Some people in the society today engage in trading that is, they buy goods from one place and another and sell the goods at a price higher than the purchase price in order to make profit. The profit made by the trader is his/her daily or monthly earning which he or she will use to satisfy his/her needs.
SCOPE OF BUSINESS STUDIES/ COMPONENT OF BUSINESS STUDIES
Business studies as a subject covers many areas of human endeavor. The study of business studies enables many people in our society today to know much on the following subjects and how these subjects can be applied in their practical lives. The subject covered by the studies of business are mainly:
Business Administration or business management
1. Economics 5. Shorthand
2. Bookkeeping/ accounting 6. Typewriting
3. Banking and finance 7. Computer
4. Office practice 8. Marketing
CAREER OPPORTUNITIES IN BUSINESS STUDIES
It is possible with hard work and focus, to choose a career in any of the areas we discussed in the above paragraph. A student can study business administration or economics or accountancy or become a banker. It is also possible for a student to study marketing, insurance or transportation. The choice of career all depends on the interest of the student.
IMPORTANCE OF BUSINESS STUDIES
Since man has advanced beyond a stage of trying to produce everything required by his family, no individual or country can survive without engaging in one form of business or another. The study of business therefore enables the students to understand various business activities that exist and the profit they make. Finally, business studies enables students to develop keen interest in various forms of business which they can take up after leaving school.
The topic is presented step by step
The class teacher revises the previous topics
He introduces the new topic
The class teacher allows the pupils to give their own examples and he corrects them when the needs arise
The class teacher wraps up or conclude the lesson by giving out short note to summarize the topic that he or she has just taught.
The class teacher also goes round to make sure that the notes are well copied or well written by the pupils.
He or she does the necessary corrections when and where the needs arise.
- Explain the scope of business studies
- Mention four scope of business studies
- Write out four importance of business studies
- What is a business study?
- Write a short note on the scope of business studies
- Mention five occupations you know.
- What is business?
- Mention four subjects covered by business studies.
- When can a business person be said to have made a profit?
- Why is business important?
- The legal means by which people earn their living is called A. business B. services C. Goods D. Trade
- The exchange of goods for goods and services for services is called a. trade by barter b. trade by exchange c. trade by engage d. trade by moving
- The activities or services engaged in by people in the society in order to earn a living are called a. commercial occupation b. commercial services c. commercial and art d. art and service
- The means through which people in a society earn their living by engaging in commercial activities or occupation is called a. social studies b. school studies c. business studies d. financial studies
- The subject covered by business studies are the following except a. shorthand b. commerce c. book-keeping d. biology
- what is trade by barter?
- mention five subjects covered by business studies
Office Clerical Staff
4 . The Right Attitude To Work
INTRODUCTION TO OFFICE EQUIPMENT
(Visited 356 times, 1 visits today)