Previous lesson :
The pupils have previous knowledge of Right Attitude Towards Work
DIFFERETNT DEPARTMENTS IN AN ORGANSIATION
Behavioural objectives :
At the end of the lesson, the pupils should be able to
- explain the meaning of an organisation
- mention different departments in an organisation
- list the functions of each department in an organisation
Instructional Materials :
- Wall charts
- Related Online Video
- Flash Cards
Methods of Teaching :
- Class Discussion
- Group Discussion
- Asking Questions
- Role Modelling
- Role Delegation
Reference Materials :
- Scheme of Work
- Online Information
- 9 Year Basic Education Curriculum
TOPIC: DIFFERETNT DEPARTMENTS IN AN ORGANSIATION
The size of an organization depends on various departments in an organization.
In a one man business the owner can act as an accountant, receptionist, clerk, manager, personnel manager, e.t.c in this type of organization the departments are few.
But in a large organization where division of labour is practiced people with different fields of learning work in their special areas in an organization, we have what is called division of labour and specialization.
TYPES OF DEPARTMENT
In a large organisation there are various departments. Such department includes:-
- Administrative department
- Personnel department
- Accounts department
- Sales department
- Purchasing department
- Production department
Their functions are as follows:-
- ADMINISTARTIVE DEPARTMENT
- Formulation of policies
- Arranging reception room for visitors to the organization
- Maintaining efficient filly system
- Documenting incoming and outgoing letters
- PERSONNEL DEPARTMENT
- Employing new staff
- Arranging staff training
- Looking after staff welfare
- Keeping staff record
- Carrying out staff dismissal
- ACCOUNTS DEPARTMENT
- Preparing and paying staff wages and salary
- Keeping records of assets and liabilities
- Paying those who the organization is owing
- Collecting money from outsiders who owe the organization
- Making sure that invoices are sent to those who purchased goods from the organization
- Offering financial advice to the organization
- SALES DEPARTMENT
- Selling and marketing the organization’s products.
- Advertising the organization’s products
- Offering after-sales services
- Following consumers change in taste
- PURCHASING DEPARTMENT
- Buying new materials and equipment at reasonable prices
- Monitoring the available goods in the market
- Checking invoices submitted by suppliers to ensure they agree with goods supplied.
The topic is presented step by step
The class teacher revises the previous topics
He introduces the new topic
The class teacher allows the pupils to give their own examples and he corrects them when the needs arise
The class teacher wraps up or conclude the lesson by giving out short note to summarize the topic that he or she has just taught.
The class teacher also goes round to make sure that the notes are well copied or well written by the pupils.
He or she does the necessary corrections when and where the needs arise.
- Mention four functions of sales department
- What is Personnel department?
- What are the functions of the administrative department?
- Write a short note on personnel department
Business studies for J.S.S1 by O. A Lawal page for 34
- The department that is responsible for staff welfare is……..a. personnel b. account
- The department that is responsible for advertising the organization’s products is ………………(a) purchasing (b)administrative (c)sales
- The department which is in charge of staff dismissal is……………… (a) personnel
(b) production (c) purchasing
- The department which is responsible for keeping records of organization assets and liabilities is (a) accounts (b) sales (c) purchases
- Department that formulates the organization polices is a. Productions b. Marketing
- Mention four different departments in an organization
- Mention three functions of the personnel department
- Give another name for a large organization.
- Give two examples of a large organization that exist in Nigeria
- List four different departments that can be found in such organization.
- Mention three functions of personnel department
- Why do you have different departments in most large organizations?