Previous lesson :
The pupils have previous knowledge of Introduction to Business Studies
Behavioural objectives :
At the end of the lesson, the pupils should be able to
- say the meaning of an office
- mention types of office
- list the functions of an office
Instructional Materials :
- Wall charts
- Related Online Video
- Flash Cards
Methods of Teaching :
- Class Discussion
- Group Discussion
- Asking Questions
- Role Modelling
- Role Delegation
Reference Materials :
- Scheme of Work
- Online Information
- 9 Year Basic Education Curriculum
TOPIC: THE OFFICE
- Meaning : An office is a place where all clerical activities are performed in an organization . It is a place where most duties of any official in an organization are done . It is a place where most administrative functions like planning , organizing , budgeting , or decision making are performed .
TYPES OF OFFICE
There are two types of office based on their sizes or functions which are :
- Big or large office
- Small office
BIG OR LARGE OFFICE: this is a large building partitioned into small offices.
SMALL OFFICE: This could just be a single room with a table, telephone and in some cases, fax machine and a computer.
An office is usually at the centre of every organization, it serves as the life wire of the organization
1. List and explain the types of office you know
2. Write a short note on an office
FUNCTION OF AN OFFICE
The functions of an office may be different from one office to another, but most functions performed by an office are as follows;
- RECEIVINGINFORMATION: An office receives information from within and outside the organization by means of
- Sending out Information : This can be done where an office issues out letter, faxes, E-mail, on behalf of its organization
- Keeping Information : This dals with the ability of officials in an office to keep or store information in archive and bring out such when the time comes to make use of such information . An office makes phone calls and keep personal contacts
- RECORDINGINFORMATION: A piece of information received by an office by means mentioned above is recorded and filed away for use when the needs arises.
- ARRANGINGINFORMATION: Information recorded is distributed to various sections and departments that need it.
The topic is presented step by step
The class teacher revises the previous topics
He introduces the new topic
The class teacher allows the pupils to give their own examples and he corrects them when the needs arise
The class teacher wraps up or conclude the lesson by giving out short note to summarize the topic that he or she has just taught.
The class teacher also goes round to make sure that the notes are well copied or well written by the pupils.
He or she does the necessary corrections when and where the needs arise.
1. a Define an office
b. Explain in one paragraph each:
i. Big office ii. Small office
- A place where clerical work is done is called a/an a. office b. department c. firm d. organization
- A single room with a table, telephone, fax machine, computer is called a. big office b. small office c. large office d. complex office
- A building that is partitioned into small office is called a. small office b. large office c. partitioned office d. building
- The means through which information is received in an office are as follows except a. letter b. fax c. e-mail d. running
- The following except _______ are the function of an office a. receiving information b. arranging information c. recording information d. scattering information
- Mention seven (7) functions of an office
- Explain two functions of the above
REVISION / EVALUATION QUESTIONS
- What is an office?
- Describe clerical works with three examples
- Mention the types of office that you know
- State three means of receiving information in an office
- Give an example each for the types of an office that you know.
Office Clerical Staff
The Right Attitude To Work
INTRODUCTION TO OFFICE EQUIPMENT
(Visited 297 times, 1 visits today)