CLASS: Basic 3
SUBJECT: Agricultural Science
TOPIC: Meaning, Importance and Composition of a Balanced Diet.
A balanced diet is a food eating man and animals which contains all the classes of food in their right proportion.
A balanced diet should contain various nutrients which perform different functions in the body.
Importance of balance diet
= A balanced diet helps us to grow.
= A balanced diet helps to fight body diseases.
= A balanced diet nourishes the skin.
= A balanced diet increases body immune system
= A balanced diet gives us energy to work.
Composition of a balanced diet include the six classes of food.
The six classes of food include:
1. Proteins: (e.g. egg, fish, meat, milk, beans, etc. )
2. Carbohydrates: (e.g. rice, maize, yam, bread, potato, etc)
3. Vitamins: (e.g. vegetables, banana, orange, apple, soybean, etc)
4. Fat and Oil: (e.g. Palm oil, vegetable oil, butter, cheese, etc)
5. Mineral salt: (e.g. cray fish, crab, liver, etc)
1. What is a balanced diet?
2. State three importance of a balanced diet
3. List the six classes of food with two examples each except water.