There were many factors that helped to serve the basis for Nigeria’s educational policies as recommended by the commission on colonial education policies in Africa. Discuss any five (5) of them
- Economic Development: The commission emphasized the need for education to contribute to economic development. They believed that education should prepare students with practical skills that could be applied in the workforce, promoting self-sufficiency and economic progress.
- Cultural Relevance: The commission recognized the importance of incorporating local cultural values, languages, and traditions into the education system. This approach aimed to make education more relevant and meaningful for students, fostering a sense of identity and pride.
- Access for All: The commission advocated for equal access to education regardless of gender, social status, or ethnic background. They believed that education should be inclusive, allowing everyone to benefit from the opportunities it provides.
- Teacher Training and Qualification: The commission stressed the significance of well-trained teachers who could effectively deliver quality education. They recommended establishing teacher training institutions to ensure educators were equipped with the necessary skills and knowledge.
- Vocational and Technical Education: Recognizing the diversity of students’ interests and aptitudes, the commission suggested incorporating vocational and technical education. This would enable students to acquire practical skills and contribute to various sectors of the economy.
These factors laid the groundwork for Nigeria’s educational policies, focusing on economic growth, cultural relevance, inclusivity, teacher quality, and a diverse range of educational pathways
Make a good presentation on five (5) of the provisions of the ordinance which laid down the principles that became the foundation of the education laws in Nigeria
1. The Commission emphasized the need for education to contribute to __________ development.
2. Incorporating local cultural values and traditions into education aimed to make it more __________ for students.
3. The Commission advocated for equal access to education regardless of gender, social status, or __________ background.
4. Well-trained teachers who could effectively deliver quality education were considered __________ by the Commission.
5. Vocational and technical education aimed to equip students with __________ skills.
6. The Commission recommended incorporating local __________ into the education system.
b) Foreign languages
7. The basis for Nigeria’s educational policies was influenced by the recommendations of the Commission on Colonial Education Policies in __________.
8. Economic __________ was a key factor considered by the Commission in shaping educational policies.
9. The Commission stressed the significance of providing education that aligned with students’ __________.
10. Inclusivity in education aimed to provide opportunities for all individuals regardless of their __________.
11. The Commission recommended establishing institutions for __________ training of teachers.
12. Cultural __________ was a key principle considered by the Commission for educational policies.
13. The Commission believed that education should contribute to students’ __________ development.
14. Vocational and technical education aimed to prepare students for __________ roles in society.
15. The Commission’s recommendations aimed to ensure that education was __________ for everyone.