History Lesson: Samuel Alexander Bill
Topic: Samuel Alexander Bill MBE – The Irish Christian Missionary and Founder of Qua Iboe Mission
1. Samuel Alexander Bill was born on December 10, 1864, and passed away on January 24, 1942.
2. He was an Irish Christian missionary, explorer, and the founder of the Qua Iboe Mission, which was later renamed Mission Africa.
3. Bill was raised in Ballymacarrett Presbyterian Church in east Belfast, Ireland.
4. He was particularly associated with the Island Street Belfast City Mission Hall.
5. Bill’s interest in missionary work was sparked by a visit to Belfast by Dwight L. Moody and Ira D. Sankey in 1874.
6. To prepare for his missionary work, he attended the Harley Missionary Training College in London, which was led by Henry Grattan Guinness.
7. In 1887, Bill traveled to Nigeria to begin his missionary work among the Ibeno people.
8. The mission base was established on the banks of the Qua Iboe River, which gave the name to the independent interdenominational mission that Bill founded.
9. Although not as well known as his Scottish contemporary Mary Slessor, Bill had a significant impact on the Irish evangelical missionary movement.
10. He inspired many people in Ireland to engage in overseas Christian service.
11. The Qua Iboe Mission, founded by Bill, became one of the largest and most successful missions in the United Kingdom.
12. The church he established, called the Qua Iboe Church, has grown significantly and had at least 2 million members in 2007.
13. Samuel Alexander Bill’s memory is still highly revered by many Nigerian Christians today.
14. In his honor, a theological college located in Abak, southern Nigeria, was named after him.
1. Samuel Alexander Bill was an Irish __________.
2. Bill founded the Qua Iboe Mission, which was later renamed __________.
a) Mission Africa
b) Island Street Belfast City Mission Hall
c) Ballymacarrett Presbyterian Church
3. Bill’s interest in missionary work was sparked by a visit to Belfast by __________.
a) Mary Slessor
b) Dwight L. Moody and Ira D. Sankey
c) Henry Grattan Guinness
4. Bill attended the Harley Missionary Training College in __________.
5. Bill travelled to __________ to commence his missionary work.
6. The mission base founded by Bill was located on the banks of the __________ River.
a) Qua Iboe
7. Bill’s legacy as an influential man of his time inspired many in Ireland to __________.
a) explore new lands
b) engage in overseas Christian service
c) pursue scientific research
8. The Qua Iboe Mission grew to be one of the largest and most successful missions in __________.
b) the UK
9. The church founded by Bill, known as the Qua Iboe Church, has grown to considerable proportions and had approximately __________ members in 2007.
b) 1 million
c) 2 million
10. A theological college at Abak in southern Nigeria is named in honor of __________.
a) Samuel Alexander Bill
b) Mary Slessor
c) Henry Grattan Guinness