Basic Science and Technology
Basic 4 / Year 4 / Primary 4
Previous lesson :
The pupils have previous knowledge of classes of food in their previous lesson
Adequate diet (balanced diet)
Behavioural objectives :
At the end of the lesson, the pupils should be able to
- Explain the meaning of food
- Explain adequate diet (balanced diet)
Instructional Materials :
- Wall charts
- Take Away Pack of Food .
- Related Online Video on Classes of Food
- Flash Cards
Methods of Teaching :
- Class Discussion
- Group Discussion
- Asking Questions
- Role Modelling
- Role Delegation
Reference Materials :
- Scheme of Work
- Online Information
- 9 Year Basic Education Curriculum
MEANING OF FOOD
Food is any subsistence either liquid or semi solid that in taken into the body system in order to sustain and maintain life . Food is also needed for proper body growth function and development .
What is Balanced Diet or Adequate meal
A balance diet meal is a meal that contains all classes of food in the right proportion . There are six classes of food which are
- fats and oils
- mineral salts
Examples of food balanced diet
- a small portion of white rice and fried rice with moin moin and turkey
- a small portion of coconut rice and dodo with salad
- a small portion of amala with gbegiri and ewedu with catfish
- vegetables and legumes (beans)
- grains and cereals.
- lean meat, poultry, fish, eggs, legumes (beans) tofu, nuts, seeds.
- milk, cheese, yoghurt or alternatives.
The topic is presented step by step
The class teacher revises the previous topics
He introduces the new topic
The class teacher allows the pupils to give their own examples and he corrects them when the needs arise
The class teacher wraps up or conclude the lesson by giving out short note to summarize the topic that he or she has just taught.
The class teacher also goes round to make sure that the notes are well copied or well written by the pupils.
He or she does the necessary corrections when and where the needs arise.
- What is balanced diet
- mention any four classes of food and give out three food examples of each class
- How many classes of food do we have
- Give two examples of food portion that are examples of balanced diet
Prepare for the next lesson by reading about harmful or contaminated food
(Visited 263 times, 4 visits today)