Physical and Health Education,
Second Term ,
Basic 1 / Primary 1
Previous lesson :
The pupils have previous knowledge of Creative Rhythms and Movements
Behavioural objectives :
At the end of the lesson, the pupils should be able to
- mention various types of creative movements
- explain different types of rhythm movements
- mention types of creative rhythms and movements
Instructional Materials :
- Wall charts
- Related Online Video
- Flash Cards
Methods of Teaching :
- Class Discussion
- Group Discussion
- Asking Questions
- Role Modelling
- Role Delegation
Reference Materials :
- Scheme of Work
- Online Information
- 9 Year Basic Education Curriculum
Locomotor movement is the shifting of the whole body when moving from one place to another. The rhythm mayor may not be even i.e. it may change and be unsteady.
Locomotor movements include jogging, galloping and skipping. Jogging is running slowly and steadily. It is a form of exercise or warm up in preparation for major games .
Wrong ways of running
Wrong ways of galloping
landing when both knees are bent;
failure to shift weight to the landing foot.
Wrong ways of skipping
inability to hop on both legs;
landing on foot instead of on toes.
The topic is presented step by step
The class teacher revises the previous topics
He introduces the new topic
The class teacher allows the pupils to give their own examples and he corrects them when the needs arise
The class teacher wraps up or conclude the lesson by giving out short note to summarize the topic that he or she has just taught.
The class teacher also goes round to make sure that the notes are well copied or well written by the pupils.
He or she does the necessary corrections when and where the needs arise.
- Explain creative rhythm movement
- How is marching done
- How is hopping done rightly
- Mention three creative rhythm movements
- Revision Questions
- 1. Give two examples each of the following movements:
a. manipulative movements;
b. fundamental rythmic movements;
c. creative rhythmic movements;
d. locomotor movements.
2. Give two examples of animals that:
3. Mention one wrong way of:
4. List four machines that make different rhythmic sounds.
Prepare for the next lesson by reading about Locomotor Movements