Instructional Materials :
- pictures of community leaders
- role playing
- Scheme of Work
- Online Information
- 9 Year Basic Education Curriculum
Previous Knowledge :
The pupils have previous knowledge of community leadership which ic an integral part if communalism
Behavioural Objectives : At the end of the lesson, the pupils should be able to
- explain communalism
- explain ethnic leadership or tribal leadership
- say the characteristics of communalism
Communalism is a system in which members of a community come together and do things collectively in the interest of the community.
Communalism exists in our traditional societies, where assistance or help is given to individual members of the community.
In a communal society, there is a high level of togetherness and unity. Harmony is a strong feature of such a community. Progress, peace and love can also be clearly seen in that type of society.
Attributes of communalism
The following are the attributes of communalism. That is, these are the things you will see in a communal society:
- Togetherness: This means doing things collectively as one body for the interest of all.
- Love: In a communal society, there is love and deep interest for one another.
The people protect the interests of one another.
- Co-operation: People work together, helping each other, in order to achieve the goals of the community.
- Justice and fair play: In a communal society, the principle of justice and fair play exists. It means people are treated fairly when matters concerning them and other members of society are handled.
- Sharing: Members of a communal society see themselves as one, and, because of the love in the community, they share things with one another.
- Dialogue: Issues affecting the community are discussed before decisions are taken in the best interest of all.
The topic is presented step by step
The class teacher revises the previous topics
He introduces the new topic
The class teacher allows the pupils to give their own examples and he corrects them when the needs arise
- a) Define communalism
- b) List ways by which we promote the spirit of communalism e.g. togetherness, love, co-operation, dialogue, sharing.
- How can the spirit of communalism be promoted in our society?
The class teacher wraps up or conclude the lesson by giving out short note to summarize the topic that he or she has just taught.
The class teacher also goes round to make sure that the notes are well copied or well written by the pupils.
He or she does the necessary corrections when and where the needs arise.
Prepare for the next lesson by reading about Types of Government