Basic Science and Technology
Primary 6 / Basic 6
Previous lesson :
The pupils have previous knowledge of
in Basic Science in their previous lesson
– Meaning of Mineral Resources
– Types and Sources of Minerals resources
– Importance of Mineral Resources
– Consequences of Over Exploitation of mineral resources on environment
Behavioural objectives :
At the end of the lesson, the pupils should be able to
- define mineral resources
- say where mineral resources can be found in Nigeria
- list types of mineral resources in Nigeria
- explain the importance of mineral resources in Nigeria
- say the consequences of over exploitation of Mineral resources in Nigeria surroundings and environments
Instructional Materials :
- Wall charts
- Related Online Video
- Flash Cards
Methods of Teaching :
- Class Discussion
- Group Discussion
- Asking Questions
- Role Modelling
- Role Delegation
Reference Materials :
- Scheme of Work
- Online Information
- 9 Year Basic Education Curriculum
What are Mineral Resources ?
Mineral Resources are free gifts of nature that are already there in the soil, water or atmosphere and are readily available for excavating. tapping or exploiting for transformation and for man’s use . Most mineral resources are there as raw materials for industries . Examples of mineral resources that can be used as raw materials are gold , coal , salt , limestone ,petroleum , tin , lead , etc
Note that most mineral resources that are agriculture produce in nature are easily renewable . Examples of renewable mineral resources are agricultural produce like milk , fish , hide and skin , cocoa , groundnuts etc
Non renewable mineral resources are those mineral resources that are very difficult to renew because it will take a lot of time for earth to form such mineral resources when they are used up . Examples of non renewable resources are coal , bitumen , crude oil , coal , animal fossils , etc
What are the location of non renewable mineral Resources in Nigeria
- Bitumen – Lagos, Edo, Ondo, Ogun.
- Coal – Ondo, Enugu.
- Crude oil – Imo ,Delta , Cross River
- Oil and gas – Akwa Ibom, Abia, Bayelsa, Edo, Delta, Rivers, Imo.
- Gold – Edo, Ebonyi, Kaduna, Ijesha, Oyo.
- Talc – Osun, Kogi, Oyo ,Niger
- Iron ore – Benue, Anambra, Kogi State, Kwara, Delta State.
- Lead and zinc – Ebonyi, Benue, Ogoja, Kano.
- Salt – Akwa Ibom, Abia, Ebonyi, Cross River.
- Tin – Jos, Bauchi.
- limestone – Ogun ,Sokoto , Cross river
Location Of Renewable Mineral Resources That are commonly used as raw materials in Industries
- Cocoa – ondo , ogun , osun
- Timber – ogun , ondo Bauchi
- Coffee – Kwara, Bauchi, Osun.
- Cotton – Katsina, Kano, Niger, Kwara, Sokoto.
- Groundnut – Ebonyi, Katsina, Sokoto, Kano, Niger.
- kola – Sokoto , Kaduna , kano
- Palm oil – Akwa ibom , Ondo , Oyo , Anambra
Importance , Benefits or Uses of Mineral Resource
- Most of them are used as raw materials in industries.
- Some of them that are combustible are used as sources of fuel
- Some mineral resources are used as source of foreign exchange income
- some mineral resources are precious stones that can be used as jewelries
- Some mineral resources are used in the construction of roads
- Mineral Resources are mostly used in construction site
Consequences of Over Exploitation of mineral resources on environment
5. Global warming
6. Gas Flaring
7, Air Pollution
8 Water pollution
10 . Strange incurable diseases
The topic is presented step by step
The class teacher revises the previous topics
He introduces the new topic
The class teacher allows the pupils to give their own examples and he corrects them when the needs arise
The class teacher wraps up or conclude the lesson by giving out short note to summarize the topic that he or she has just taught.
The class teacher also goes round to make sure that the notes are well copied or well written by the pupils.
He or she does the necessary corrections when and where the needs arise.
- What are natural resources
- What are renewable natural resources
- What are non renewable natural resources
- Write out four uses or importance if natural resources
- Write out four consequences of over exploitation of natural resources
Prepare for the next lesson by reading about colours
(Visited 494 times, 1 visits today)