HomeHomeList of soft skills that are needed by the 21st Century Teacher
September 11, 2018
List of soft skills that are needed by the 21st Century Teacher
1. Responsibility : it is the state or fact of being responsible, answerable or accountable for something within one's power, control, or management.
2. Healthy choices : These are wise choices that we must make in order to be healthy, wealthy and wise. Health is wealth they use to say. These involved the steps, actions, and strategies one puts in place to achieve an optimum life style and good health.
3. Civic Duty : We must be responsible and wake up to our social and societal responsibilities like paying our taxes and be law abiding at all times.
4. Community Service : This may sound odd or rather strange but we must make our communities inhabitable for us. It is what we have made out of our communities that we shall eventually get out of it.
5. Trust : This is a firm belief in the reliability, truth, ability, or strength of someone to do something. Are we teachers trusted by our students or boss. Are we approachable. Can our students confide in us. Can parents talk to us in confidence about the mental health of a child and we are not going to make a mockery of such sacred information.
6. Self Esteem : Teacher's reward is in heaven… Hmmmmm. It's okay. Continue to deceive yourself. You better wake up to your responsibilities and impact lives with good values so that you can have your rewards and benefits here on earth and enjoy thereafter when you get to heaven. We you add values to lives then you can negotiate and make a decision on how much you want to earn and thereby increase your earning capacity…..
Add Values to lives
7. Develop your listening skills : This is very crucial for every teacher in the 21st century. There is nothing like a child talks too much. Once a child has something to say then you just have to listen. You need to pay attention to the pupils in order to buy their attention. Listing skill is the ability to pay attention to and effectively interprète what other people are saying.
8. Fair sense of justice : A teacher needs not to be bais in his dealing or in her dealing with any student, pupil or child. A teacher needs to maintain a fair and just relation between himself or herself and the pupils.
9. Humility : This is the quality of being humble. We most be modest and be free from arrogance and pride…. Remember that pride goes before a fall
10. Leadership : This is the ability to command obedience or influence other people's behaviours. A teacher is not a boss but a leaders that impact knowledge by telling the pupils to do as he does which means that he or she is actively involved in the process. A teacher as a leader is the person that gives direction, guadiance, and direction.
11. Self Discipline : This is the will power to control one's actions, impulses, emotions, angers and desires.
12. Honesty : Honesty is the best policy. Teachers must be honest in all their dealings with their pupils. Teachers are not expected to toy with the pupils' snacks most especially the ones in KG classes or nursery classes. Let teachers exhibit utmost integrity in dealing with pupils and their parents alike. Don't let us falsify academic records for financial gains.
13. Problem solving skills : That is why we are teachers in the first instance. We should not frown at challenges but rather see opportunities in challenges. We must learn to sharpen our problem solving skills so that we become an asset to ourselves and organization rather than responsibilities.
14. Tolerance :This the ability to persevere or endure the most annoying and restless and troublesome pupil in the class. It is a fair, objective, and permissive attitude toward opinions, beliefs and practices that differ from one's own. We must tolerate all children from all race tribe culture or religion.
15. Self control : This is the ability to control oneself, in particular one's emotions and desires, especially in difficult situations
16. Détermination : This is the very strong will power to do what is needed to be done. It is the quality of being resolute ; or that of firmness of purpose.
17. Learning to Learn : Teachers in the 21st century must be the one that is always ready to read and read and read and learn. They must be able to learn, relearn and unlearn.
18. Charity : it is the practice of being benevolent, giving and sharing to aid the poor, ill, or helpless.
19. Team work : Nobody is an island of knowledge… Teacher's must leverage on the ideas and knowledge of others to drive home whatever points that they are making in order to make learning fun and joy
20. Digital Literacy : Yes oooooo. You as a 21st century teacher must be digitally and computer literate. You must make use of the of the social media and the internet and online resources to buttress your points and make your lesson. You must have your own blog where you keep your own personal records of events in your schools. After all you are reading this from a blog of a teacher like you….