Grade: Primary 5
Topic: Plant Growth and Development
Time: 45 minutes
- To help students understand the stages of plant growth.
- To foster curiosity and engagement through hands-on activities.
- Potted plants at various growth stages (seed, seedling, mature plant)
- Pictures or diagrams of plant growth stages
- Drawing materials (colored pencils, markers)
- Soil, pots, and seeds (optional, for a planting activity)
Introduction (10 minutes):
- Begin by showing pictures or diagrams of different plant growth stages.
- Ask students questions to stimulate their curiosity, such as “What do you think plants need to grow?” and “Have you ever planted a seed and watched it grow?”
Activity 1: Plant Growth Observation (15 minutes):
- Show the potted plants at different growth stages.
- Have students observe and describe the differences between them.
- Encourage them to ask questions about what they see.
- Discuss as a class what plants need to grow (sunlight, water, soil, and air).
Activity 2: Plant Growth Timeline (10 minutes):
- Provide each student with drawing materials.
- Ask them to create a timeline of a plant’s growth stages, labeling each stage.
- Encourage creativity and discussion while drawing.
Activity 3: Planting Seeds (if time allows, 10 minutes):
- Explain the importance of planting seeds to grow new plants.
- If possible, provide small pots, soil, and seeds.
- Let students plant a seed and discuss what they need to take care of it and watch it grow.
Conclusion (5 minutes):
- Have students share what they’ve learned about plant growth.
- Reinforce key points about the needs of plants and the stages of growth.
- Encourage students to continue observing plants in their environment.
- Evaluate students’ plant growth timeline drawings and their participation in discussions and activities.
This child-centered lesson plan encourages active learning, exploration, and critical thinking while teaching important concepts about plant growth and development. Feel free to adapt it as needed for your specific classroom and resources