Early Calculating Device
Subject : Computer Studies
Class : Basic 3 / Primary 3 / Year 3
Term: First Term
Week : Week 7
History Of Computer Early Calculating Device the Difference Machine
Previous Knowledge : The pupils have previous knowledge of
More Examples of Computer Input Devices
that was taught in their previous lesson.
Behavioural Objectives : At the end of the lesson, learners will be able to
1. describe the input early difference machine
2. say the usefulness or the importance of the early counting machine
- Wall charts
- Online Resource
Methods of Teaching
- Role modelling
- Questions and Answers
- Story Telling
The difference machines were the earliest forms of attempts into bringing into the existence of the modern machines that we use now adays.
Difference Engine, an early calculating machine, verging on being the first computer, designed and partially built during the 1820s and ’30s by Charles Babbage.
The following instruments and devices were earlier developed and later transformed to the present day sophisticated intelligent computer system that we know a today
John Napier’s Rod
Blaise Pascal Machine
Leibnitz Calculating Machine.
Charles Babbage (1791-1871) who was known all over the world as the father of computer, was the one that pioneered and designed two classes of engine which were the Difference Engines, and Analytical Engines.
The topic is presented step by step
Step 1: The class teacher revises the old topic
Step 2: The class teacher introduces the new topic
Step 3: The class teacher allows the pupils to give their own contributions and gives room for pupils” participation
Class Teacher and Pupils Activities. Interaction or Participation
This involves class teacher and pupils’ interaction, conversation, imitation or modeling through discussion, play method or just by recitation or asking and answering questions that are related to the topic that has just been taught
- The class teacher asks the pupils to mention the early counting devices
- The pupils are shown examples of difference machine on the chart
- Pupils are encouraged to say what they have been taught about the early difference machine
- What are the 5 early calculating devices?
- Who created the earliest programmed machine?
- Who invented the Abacus?
- Who was the father of Computer?
- The difference machines were the early counting devices? (True/ False)
- Mention two people that were the early inventors of the differences machine
- Did people count with stones and sticks in the olden days (True/ False)
- Abacus is one of the early counting devices (True/ False)
- Can we count with our fingers (True/ False)
- Can We count with our hair on our head (True/ False)
- Abacus was used for counting (True/ False)
- Charles Babbage was a Nigerian (True/ False)
More Examples of Computer Input Devices ( Basic 3 First Term Week 6 )
The Analytical Machine ( Basic 3 First Term Week 8)