History of computer II
Subject : Computer Studies
Class : Basic 3 / Primary 3 / Year 3
Term : First Term
Week : Week 3
Mechanical counting devices
Previous Knowledge : The pupils have previous knowledge of
History of Computer ( Basic 3 )
that was taught in their previous lesson.
Behavioural Objectives : At the end of the lesson , learners will be able to
- Say the history of Computer
- identify early counting devices
- state four early counting device
- Wall charts
- Online Resource
- Early Counting Devices like Abacus
Methods of Teaching
- Role modelling
- Questions and Answers
- Story Telling
The first computer was called the Abacus counting machine.
Early mechanical counting devices and their inventors
The first computer was made several years ago by a man called Abacus. It was used for simple additions and subtractions.
It is known as the Abacus counting machine.
Other early inventions that were discovered and useful for counting are
..1. Pascal Machine
.2 . Slide ruler
3. Analytical machine
Pioneers Of Early Mechanical calculating Machines
Blaise Pascal : A Frenchman called Blaise Pascal made the first adding machine in 1642. It was a very big machine. Blaise Pascal’s father used this machine in recording taxes collected and spent by the government.
Sir Samuel Morland: Sir Samuel Morland, an Englishman, invented three calculating machines between 1663 and
1666. The first one was used for addition and subtraction of money. The other two were used for more difficult arithmetic.
Charles Babbage : Charles Babbage, another Englishman, made the first machine that calculates and stores information. His computer was better than an ordinary calculator. It was a very big machine.
The topic is presented step by step
Step 1 : The class teacher revises the old topic
Step 2 : The class teacher introduces the new topic
Step 3 : The class teacher allows the pupils to give their own contributions and gives room for pupils” participation
Class Teacher And Pupils Activities. Interaction or Participation
This involves class teacher and pupils interaction , conversation , imitation or modeling through discussion , play method or just by recitation or asking and answering questions that are related to the topic that has just been taught
- The class teacher asks the pupils to bring some small stones for counting
- The pupils are asked to bring sample Abacus to class
- Pupils are encouraged to describe the use of the abacus
- What is a computer device?
- What device do we use to receive information?
- What did the early people use to count?
- The first adding machine was invented in what year?
- Abacus is use for……………. And …………….
- Mention four early counting devices
- Name five counting devices people used before the invention of computer.
- Write to inventors, their invention and the use of their invention.