AGRICULTURAL SCIENCE SECOND TERM E NOTES FOR BASIC FOUR
HOW TO RAISE ORNAMENTAL CROPS
- Explanatory posters/pictures
- Explanatory videos
Instructional Materials :
- Lagos State Scheme of Work.
- Online Materials.
- Physical and Health Education for Primary Schools
Previous Knowledge :
The pupils have been taught
SAFETY MEASURE IN APPLYING CHEMICALS
in their previous lesson
At the end of the lesson , pupils should be able to
- say what are ornamental crops
- give examples of ornamental crops
- explain how to pl;ant ornamental crops
HOW TO RAISE ORNAMENTAL PLANTS
Ornamental plants are plants that beautify our environment.
They are mostly flowers e.g. hibiscus, rose flower, flamboyant flower and sun flower.
The Steps in growing ornamental crops are:
- Land clearing : Before planting, the land must be cleared of weeds and debris. Hoes and machetes can be used in clearing the land.
- Seed bed or pot preparation : Seed bed should be well planned. Pot should also be fine and filled with good soil. Topsoil should be loosening for removal or roots, stones and woods.
- Planting : Most ornamental plants are planted through their seedlings. So, seedlings are transplanted tpo the pots ot flower bed.
- Weeding :This is the removal of unwanted plants. It is done regularly with the aid of hoes in the flower bed. In the pot, hand weeding should be done i.e. pulling out the weeds with hands.
- Manuring :This means applying manure to the flower beds or the soil in the pots. Manure helps the plants to grow well.
- Watering : The flower bed should be regularly watered particularly, in the dry season. The pots should be watered daily.
- Mulching : This is the covering of the surface of the soil or the seed bed with cut dry leaves, stems and even plastic to reduce the loss of water from the soil.
- Pruning : Trimming should be done constantly to make the flower look attractive.
The topic is presented step by step
The class teacher revises the previous topics
He introduces the new topic
The class teacher allows the pupils to give their own examples and he corrects them when the needs arise
1. What are ornamental plants?
2. What are the importance of planting flowers in your school?
3. List the steps you would take to raise ornamental crops
4. List four ornamental plants grown in your school.
5. Name three tools for planting ornamental plants.
The teacher summarize the lesson. He or she gives out a board summary of the topic as note . He or she goes round to mark and does the necessary corrections
(Visited 257 times, 1 visits today)