SECOND TERM EXAMINATION 001
CLASS: PRIMARY 4
SUBJECT: ENGLISH LANGUAGE
Why Fire and Rain are Enemies
A very long time ago, there was a chief who had a beautiful daughter. Many young men wanted to marry her, but the chief thought, ‘They are not very good for my daughter.’
‘Fire and Rain wanted to marry her too. Rain came to the chief’s daughter and asked, ‘Will you marry me, oh daughter of the chief?’ ‘Yes, I will, ‘said the girl.
At the same time, Fire came to the chief and said, ‘I want to marry your daughter. Will you give her to me for my wife?’
The chief said, ‘Yes, I will.’
Then the chief sent for his daughter and said to her, ‘My dear daughter, you will marry Fire. I gave him my promise.’
‘Oh, Father!’ said the girl, ‘I cannot marry Fire. I must marry Rain. I gave my promise to him.’
‘What shall we do?’ cried the chief. You can’t marry both Fire and Rain.’
Then Fire and Rain came to the chief and his daughter. The chief said to them, ‘Tomorrow will be the day of my daughter’s marriage.’ ‘To me?’ asked Fire. ‘To me?’ asked Rain.
‘To the winner of a race. To him I will give my daughter,’ said the chief.
On the day of the race, many people came to the town. They all wanted to see the race. Some of them said, ‘Fire will win.’ Others said, ‘Rain will win.’ But the chief’s daughter thought, ‘I want to marry Rain.’
They day of the race came. When it was time to begin, the drummers beat the drums. The race began. The wind helped Fire to run very quickly. But where was Rain? Nobody saw him. The people cried, ‘Look, Fire is quite near the finish line’ But Rain began to fall from the sky and out fire. So Fire could not finish the race.
The people cried, ‘Rain, Rain is the first!’ so the chief gave his daughter to Rain and they were very happy. From that day, Fire and Rain became enemies.
Answer these questions:
- Who were the two that wanted to marry the Chief’s daughter? _________________________
- Who did the Chief want his daughter to marry? _____________________________________
- Who did the daughter want to marry? _____________________________________________
- What did rain and fire have to do? _______________________________________________
- What helped fire to run very quickly? ____________________________________________
Section B: English Grammar
Underline the action verbs in the following sentences
- Laide speaks English fluently.
- I am not sure she hates you, don’t disrespect her.
- Omalay flew on Arik airline to Abuja.
- Dele finally laughed at his success.
Choose the correct answer from options A to C
- Today _______________________ Sunday (a) It is (b) is (c) are
- Please do not ______________________ food away (a) threw (b) throws (c) throw
- My mother ___________________ delicious chocolate cakes (a) bakes (b) bake (c) baking
- The show __________________ in an hour’s time (a) started (b) starts (c) start
- Our maid ___________________ a chicken yesterday (a) roasted (b) roasts (c) roasting
- Early men __________________ crude stone tools (a) uses (b) using (c) used
Fill in the blanks with the correct form of adjectives from A to C
- My brother is the __________________ athlete in his school (a) better (b) best (c) good
- What is the name of the _______________ river in the world (a) longest (b) longer (c) long
- I have _______________ money than he does (a) much (b) plenty (c) more
- He is the ___________ of all my friends (a) more generous (b) most generous (c) generous
- What is the name of the ________ member of your family (a) older (b) oldest (c) most oldest
State the simple past form of the following words
- Cut – ________________________________
- Catch – _______________________________
- Feel – ________________________________
- Knee down – ______________________________
- Scold – _________________________________
Section D: English Composition
Write a short composition of not more than fifteen lines telling your friend about your school activities
(Visited 99 times, 1 visits today)