Briefly explain the following Educational Guidance and Counseling: this g is the assistance given to Pupils
individually and through group techniques to help them function more effectively in their school programme. It helps the pupil to develop to their maximum potentials. It assists students with learning problems and of education generally.
Personal and Psychological Counseling: this is an aspect of counseling that deals with diverse personal problems.
This counseling encompasses other areas of guidance and counseling such as marital counseling, peer counseling and pastoral counseling Olusakin (1996).
Vocational Guidance: this is an aspect of counseling to ensure that each child is
assisted in making right and realistic choice of career. It deals into problems of selection, training for and adjustment to occupations.
Rehabilitation Counseling: Rehabilitation counseling which deals with problems arising from sodden life’s disruption such as associated with disabling accidents, wars, natural catastrophes (such as flood earthquakes and fires) or mass retrenchment and loss of employment. Socio-cultural Counseling:
The sociocultural counseling is the aspect of counseling that ensures that the child’s behaviors, belief and lifestyle conforms with his culture and background.
Explain any five (5) responsibilities of students to the school guidance programme.
Educational Guidance and Counseling: This refers to the support provided to students, both individually and in groups, to help them perform better in their academic pursuits. It aims to help students reach their full potential and address any learning difficulties they may be facing. For instance, if a student is struggling with a particular subject, a counselor might offer study strategies and techniques to improve their performance.
Personal and Psychological Counseling: This facet of counseling deals with a wide range of personal issues that students might encounter. It covers areas such as marital problems, peer conflicts, and even pastoral counseling. For example, if a student is struggling with anxiety or self-esteem issues, a counselor might provide techniques to manage stress or build self-confidence.
Vocational Guidance: This aspect of counseling focuses on assisting students in making informed and realistic career choices. It helps them with selecting suitable career paths, acquiring the necessary training, and adapting to their chosen professions. For instance, a counselor might use career assessment tools to help a student identify their strengths and interests, leading to a more suitable career choice.
Rehabilitation Counseling: This form of counseling deals with challenges arising from major life disruptions like accidents, wars, natural disasters, or sudden job loss. It aims to help individuals overcome these challenges and reintegrate into society. For example, if a student experiences a disabling accident, a rehabilitation counselor might provide physical and emotional support to aid their recovery and adaptation.
Socio-cultural Counseling: This counseling aspect focuses on ensuring that a student’s behavior, beliefs, and lifestyle align with their cultural background. It helps them develop a strong sense of identity and respect for their heritage. For instance, if a student faces conflicts between their cultural values and those of their peers, a counselor might facilitate discussions to find a harmonious balance.
In summary, educational guidance and counseling encompass various areas that collectively aim to support students in their personal, academic, and career development. By addressing individual needs and challenges, counselors play a vital role in helping students navigate their educational journey effectively.
1. (a) What is educational statistics? (b) Explain any five (5) purposes for its use in Nigeria’s educational system.
1. Educational Guidance and Counseling aims to assist students in functioning more effectively in their ________.
a) Social activities
b) Family life
c) School programme
2. The primary goal of Educational Guidance and Counseling is to help pupils develop to their ________ potentials.
3. Personal and Psychological Counseling deals with a wide range of ________ problems.
4. Marital counseling, peer counseling, and pastoral counseling are examples of aspects within ________ counseling.
5. Vocational Guidance focuses on assisting students in making informed choices about their ________.
c) Friendship circle
6. Rehabilitation Counseling addresses challenges arising from disruptive events such as disabling accidents, wars, and ________.
a) Academic failures
b) Natural catastrophes
c) Recreational activities
7. The aim of Socio-cultural Counseling is to ensure that a child’s behaviors, beliefs, and lifestyle align with their ________.
a) Peers’ opinions
b) Family values
c) Cultural background
8. Educational Guidance and Counseling helps students with ________ problems.
9. Personal and Psychological Counseling encompasses areas like marital counseling, peer counseling, and ________ counseling.
10. Vocational Guidance assists students in making the right and ________ choice of career.
11. Rehabilitation Counseling deals with challenges resulting from life disruptions such as disabling accidents, wars, and ________.
b) Political conflicts
c) Technological advancements
12. Socio-cultural Counseling ensures that a child’s behaviors, beliefs, and lifestyle are in line with their ________.
a) School rules
b) Culture and background
c) Peer group
13. The goal of Educational Guidance and Counseling is to help students function more effectively in their ________.
a) Personal relationships
b) School programme
c) Social media interactions
14. Personal and Psychological Counseling addresses a wide range of ________ challenges.
15. Vocational Guidance focuses on helping students make informed choices regarding their ________.
c) Clothing style