Primary 4 / Basic 4 / Grade 4 /Year 4
Previous lesson : Pupils have previous knowledge of
Values That Are Cherished In The Community
that was taught in their previous lesson
Culture and belief of a community
Behavioural objectives : At the end of the lesson, the pupils should be able to
- say the meaning of culture
- explain belief
Instructional Materials :
- Wall charts
- Related Online Video
- Flash Cards
Methods of Teaching :
- Class Discussion
- Group Discussion
- Asking Questions
- Role Modelling
- Role Delegation
Reference Materials :
- Scheme of Work
- Online Information
- 9 Year Basic Education Curriculum
What is culture ?
Culture the way of live of a group of people .
Culture is define as the way of life, beliefs, behavior and values of a group of people or society and can be passed from generation to the next.
Culture is the arts, customs, lifestyles, background and habits of a community or nation.
There are two types of cultures:
- Material culture: these are physical things that are created by the communities. Examples include: food, fabric, buildings and tools.
- Non-material culture: these are part of culture that you cannot touch, feel, taste or hold. Examples social roles, ethics, dance, language, song and beliefs.
Various cultural ethnic tribes in Nigeria community include:
- Efik /Ibibio culture
- Edo/Benin culture
- Yoruba culture
- Igbo culture
- Hausa/ Fulani culture
Belief is define as a way community of people sharing the religious faith. Belief is also an opinion that a person holds to be true, e.g. faith in God.
Types of belief in Nigeria communities include;
- Theism: the believe in one or more gods.
- Monotheism is the believe that one God exist.
- Atheism or non-theism: the beliefs that gods do not exist.
The topic is presented step by step
The class teacher revises the previous topics
He introduces the new topic
The class teacher allows the pupils to give their own examples and he corrects them when the needs arise
The class teacher wraps up or conclude the lesson by giving out short note to summarize the topic that he or she has just taught.
The class teacher also goes round to make sure that the notes are well copied or well written by the pupils.
He or she does the necessary corrections when and where the needs arise.
1. What is culture ?
2. What is belief ?
3. Mention two types of belief
4. List two types of culture
5. List three ways by which we can show our culture
6. Mention three types of values
7.Mention three religious beliefs in Nigeria
8. What is Monotheism ?
9. What is Atheism ?
10. What are values that sow material culture