Subject : Home Economics
Class : Primary 1
Term : First Term
Week : Week 5
Topic : Care of each part of the body
Grade Level: Primary 1
Duration: 40 minutes
Learning Objectives: By the end of this lesson, students will be able to:
- Identify and name different parts of the body.
- Understand the importance of keeping each body part clean and healthy.
- Demonstrate knowledge of basic personal hygiene practices.
Embedded Core Skills:
- Language Skills: Listening, speaking, and vocabulary development.
- Critical Thinking: Understanding cause and effect.
- Motor Skills: Practicing handwashing and proper hygiene.
- Illustrated posters of different body parts.
- Pictures demonstrating hygiene practices.
- A soft cloth for demonstrating ear cleaning.
- A toothbrush for discussing teeth brushing.
- A sink with soap and water for handwashing practice.
Hello, little ones! 👋 Today, we’re going to learn about taking care of each part of our body. It’s important to keep ourselves healthy and happy! 😊
👁️ Eyes: Our eyes help us see the world around us. We should not poke or rub our eyes with dirty hands. Remember to blink to keep your eyes moist and healthy!
👂 Ears: Our ears help us hear sounds. We should not put anything, like pencils or cotton swabs, inside our ears. Clean your ears gently with a soft cloth.
👃 Nose: Our nose helps us smell and breathe. If you have to sneeze or cough, cover your nose and mouth with your elbow, not your hand. It’s polite and keeps germs away!
👄 Mouth: Our mouth helps us eat, talk, and smile. Brush your teeth every day to keep them strong and healthy. Don’t forget to visit the dentist!
🖐️ Hands: Our hands are like our helpers. Wash them with soap and water before eating and after using the toilet. This way, we keep germs away!
🦶 Feet: Our feet help us walk and run. We should wear the right size shoes and socks. It’s like giving our feet a cozy home! 👟
Remember, boys and girls, taking care of our bodies makes us strong and happy. 🌟 Let’s all give ourselves a big hug 🤗 to show that we love our bodies and want to keep them healthy! 😃💪🏃♀️🏃♂️
1. We should not poke or rub our _______ with dirty hands.
2. If you have to sneeze or cough, cover your _______ and mouth with your elbow.
3. We should clean our _______ gently with a soft cloth.
4. Brush your _______ every day to keep them strong and healthy.
5. Our _______ help us walk and run.
6. Before eating, we should wash our _______ with soap and water.
7. After using the toilet, we should wash our _______.
8. Putting pencils or cotton swabs inside our _______ is not safe.
9. We should wear the right size _______ and socks for our feet.
10. To keep our _______ moist and healthy, we should blink often.
11. Our _______ help us hear sounds.
12. We give our feet a cozy home by wearing the right size _______.
13. If we love our bodies, we should take care of each part, from our head to our _______.
14. Covering our _______ and mouth when we sneeze or cough is polite and keeps germs away.
15. Visiting the _______ helps us keep our teeth healthy.
Introduction (5 minutes):
- Greet the students and gain their attention with a simple body movement exercise.
- Ask students if they know why it’s important to take care of their bodies.
Main Content (25 minutes):
Part 1: Body Parts (10 minutes):
- Show illustrated posters of different body parts (eyes, ears, nose, mouth, hands, feet).
- Ask students to name each body part and its function (e.g., eyes help us see, ears help us hear).
- Discuss why each body part is essential for our daily activities.
Part 2: Hygiene Practices (10 minutes):
- Show pictures demonstrating hygiene practices:
- Covering mouth and nose when sneezing or coughing.
- Washing hands with soap and water.
- Using a soft cloth to clean ears gently.
- Brushing teeth with a toothbrush.
- Discuss why these practices are important for keeping our body parts healthy.
Part 3: Handwashing Demonstration (5 minutes):
- Lead a practical demonstration of proper handwashing:
- Wet hands with water.
- Apply soap.
- Rub hands together for at least 20 seconds.
- Rinse thoroughly.
- Dry with a clean towel.
- Encourage students to mimic the handwashing steps.
- Facilitate discussions about body parts and hygiene practices.
- Demonstrate proper handwashing and other hygiene practices.
- Use visual aids to enhance understanding.
- Participate in discussions and answer questions.
- Engage in the handwashing demonstration.
- Practice good hygiene during the lesson.
- Use simple language and clear illustrations to explain concepts.
- Encourage questions and discussions to reinforce learning.
- Ensure a safe and engaging learning environment.
Evaluation (5 minutes):
- Ask students questions related to the lesson content, such as:
- “Why is it important to wash our hands before eating?”
- “What should we use to clean our ears?”
- “How can we take care of our teeth?”
- Evaluate students’ understanding based on their responses.
Conclusion (5 minutes):
- Recap the key points of the lesson, emphasizing the importance of taking care of each body part.
- Assign a simple hygiene-related homework task, like drawing a picture of themselves practicing good hygiene.
- The assessment is based on students’ participation in discussions and their ability to answer questions correctly during the evaluation.
- Draw a picture of yourself practicing good hygiene. Label the body parts you’ve learned about.
- In the next lesson, reinforce the importance of good hygiene and discuss different aspects of personal hygiene in more detail.
By following this lesson plan, students will gain a strong foundation in understanding the importance of taking care of each part of their body and practicing good hygiene habits
- Name the three main parts of the human body. ________________, _________________, ________________
- The finger is part of the ______________ (a) hand (b) head (c) tongue
- Name five part of the body
- We use our
- eyes to _______________
- Nose to ______________
- ear to ________________
- mouth to _____________
- leg to ________________
- When we take good care of our body, we become strong and healthy. ( Yes / No)
- Clean body make us to have germs and diseases. ( Yes / No)
- Write three materials used for cleaning the body.
- ___________________, ___________________, ___________________
- We wash our head with _______________ and ____________________
- It is good to look directly to the sun. ( Yes / No)
- Do not force yourself to see things. ( Yes / No)
- When we put sharp object into our hear, it makes us to hear better. ( Yes / No)
- It is good to cut finger nails ______________ (a) once in a month (b) regularly (c) every year
- The finger is part of the ___________________
- Wash your hands after visiting the _______________ (a) school (b) toilet (c) bedroom
- How many eyes do you have?