The Eric Ashby Commission, also known as the Ashby Commission, made recommendations in 1960 to develop tertiary education in Nigeria. Here are the main recommendations in simpler language:
- Balanced Growth:
- The commission suggested that universities should grow at the same pace as the country’s needs. This means more universities should be built to meet the demand.
- Student and Staff Quality:
- It recommended that universities focus on getting the best students and teachers to ensure good education.
- The commission said universities should get enough money to function well. This would help improve the quality of education.
- Curriculum Development:
- It suggested that universities should update their courses regularly to stay relevant to the changing world.
- Adequate Facilities:
- The commission emphasized the need for enough classrooms, libraries, and labs to support learning.
- Quality Research:
- It recommended universities should do more research to help solve problems in Nigeria.
- Autonomy for Universities:
- The commission thought universities should have the freedom to manage their affairs without too much government interference.
- Regional Balance:
- It suggested that universities should be spread out across Nigeria to give more people access to higher education.
These recommendations aimed to improve the quality and accessibility of tertiary education in Nigeria, making it more responsive to the country’s needs.
- More _______ was suggested to help solve problems in Nigeria. a) football matches b) research c) holidays
- The commission recommended giving universities the freedom to manage their affairs with less _______. a) autonomy b) government interference c) funding
- The commission believed universities should be spread across Nigeria to give more _______ to higher education. a) problems b) access c) clouds
- To meet Nigeria’s needs, the Eric Ashby Commission advised universities to grow _______. a) slowly b) at the same pace c) quickly
- Good education quality relies on getting the best _______ and teachers. a) playgrounds b) students c) buildings
- To improve, universities need enough funding to _______ well. a) function b) dance c) sing
- Updating courses helps universities stay _______. a) ancient b) relevant c) strange
- Adequate facilities like classrooms and libraries are important to support _______. a) teaching b) learning c) swimming
- The commission believed that more research can help _______ in Nigeria. a) create problems b) solve problems c) ignore problems
- Universities should have the freedom to manage their affairs with less _______ from the government. a) autonomy b) interference c) funding
- The Eric Ashby Commission suggested balanced growth of universities, meaning they should grow _______ with the country’s needs. a) slowly b) at the same pace c) quickly
- To improve education quality, the commission recommended focusing on getting the best _______ and teachers. a) libraries b) students c) playgrounds
- Adequate _______ was emphasized to ensure universities had enough money to function well. a) funding b) buildings c) computers
- The commission advised universities to update their _______ to stay relevant. a) courses b) buildings c) uniforms
- Enough classrooms, libraries, and labs were stressed as _______ to support learning. a) obstacles b) facilities c) ideas
Critically examine any five (5) threats impeding the development of education in Nigeria.
List and explain four (4) environmental factors that can affect the grow and development of a child
Define “environment” in relation to development. Environment implies all factors influencing the development of an individual right from the time of conception.
List and explain any five agencies of socialization