PRY 5 ENGLISH THIRD TERM E-NOTE
Subject :English Grammar
Class :Primary 5
Term :Third Term
Class: Basic 5
Duration: 40 minutes
Topic: Linking Words : such as, although, but, so, so that Structure English Language Primary 5 Third Term Lesson Notes Week 1
Previous Lesson :
Objective: To understand and correctly use linking words such as, although, but, so, and so that in sentences.
Linking Words : such as, although, but, so, so that Structure English Language Primary 5 Third Term Lesson Notes Week 1
Lesson: Linking Words – such as, although, but, so, so that
Linking words are important tools in the English language that help us connect ideas and thoughts within a sentence or between different sentences. They enable us to express relationships, contrast, cause and effect, and purpose. In this lesson, we will focus on the linking words “such as,” “although,” “but,” “so,” and “so that.”
1. Such as:
– “Such as” is used to give examples or provide additional information. It is often used to introduce examples within a sentence.
Example: There are many fruits in the market, such as apples, oranges, and bananas.
– “Although” is used to introduce a contrast or a contradiction between two ideas. It shows that one idea may be true, but another idea is also true despite the first one.
Example: Although it was raining, we still went to the park.
– “But” is used to show a contrast or contradiction between two ideas. It is often used to introduce a contrasting or opposing idea.
Example: He wanted to go to the party, but he had to study for his exams.
– “So” is used to show a cause and effect relationship. It indicates that one action or event is a consequence of another action or event.
Example: He studied hard, so he passed the exam.
5. So that:
– “So that” is used to express purpose or intention. It explains the reason behind an action or event.
Example: She woke up early so that she wouldn’t be late for school.
1. Complete the following sentences using the appropriate linking word:
a) _______ he loves soccer, he also enjoys playing basketball.
b) I need to finish my homework _______ I can go out and play.
c) There are many countries in Africa, _______ Nigeria, Ghana, and South Africa.
d) _______ it was cold outside, they decided to go for a walk.
e) She studied hard _______ she could get good grades.
b) so that
c) such as
Linking words are essential for constructing clear and cohesive sentences. They help us convey relationships between ideas and provide additional information. By using linking words like “such as,” “although,” “but,” “so,” and “so that” correctly, we can enhance the quality of our communication.